Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 469224
HP LP2065 monitor can't do 1600x1200 with RHEL5
Last modified: 2010-10-23 01:28:51 EDT
Created attachment 321964 [details]
State the problem
1. Provide time and date of the problem
2. Indicate the platform(s) (architectures) the problem is being reported against.
HP xw4400, xw4300.
HP LP2065 LCD monitor
Nvidia Quadro NVS 285
3. Provide clear and concise problem description as it is understood at the time of escalation
* Observed behavior
Can only get 1600x1200 with VGA. Can only get 1280x1024 with DVI. This is with the nv driver. Using proprietary driver works fine, and use Noveau with "Randr12" in the "Devices" seciton of the Xorg.conf file works.
* Desired behavior
1600x1200 with DVI & nv driver.
4. State specific action requested of SEG
Investigate issue with nvdriver, provide fix.
Provide supporting info
1. State other actions already taken in working the problem:
Tried adding "Randr12" to "Devices" section, didn't work. Using VGA works.
2. Attach sosreport
3. Attach other supporting data
4. Provide issue repro information:
Connect HP LP2065 LCD monitor to Nvidia Quadro NVS 285, reconfig with /usr/bin/system-config-display --reconfig --noui --set-resolution=1600x1200 --set-depth=24. May also occur with other monitors.
5. List any known hot-fix packages on the system
6. List any customer applied changes from the last 30 days
Created attachment 324204 [details]
rpm -Va output
Created attachment 324205 [details]
Created attachment 324206 [details]
Created attachment 324207 [details]
Created attachment 324208 [details]
(--) NV(0): CRTC 0 is currently programmed for DFP
(II) NV(0): Using DFP on CRTC 0
(--) NV(0): Panel size is 1280 x 1024
This isn't something we can fix. The nv driver relies on memory and panel setup performed by the BIOS at boot time. This is typically conservative and does not try to do any better than 1280x1024, on the assumption that the runtime driver will do it correctly. Which is true, with nvidia's driver, but not with the open one. And nvidia haven't been willing to tell us how to set that up, so we really have no choice but to limit output size.
This is only an issue for digital output paths on pre-G80 (GeForce 8000 series) nvidia hardware. Use the VGA connector if possible.
Should be documented in a release note or kb article, but not something we can fix in RHEL5. Devel nak.
Development Management has reviewed and declined this request. You may appeal
this decision by reopening this request.
Update from Nvidia:
· Bugzilla 469224 - HP LP2065 monitor can't do 1600x1200 with RHEL5
· Roland opened up NVbugs issue for tracking
§ Bug 572773 ([nv driver] HP LP2065 monitor can't do 1600x1200 with RHEL5)
· Moving up to medium priority as customer has hundreds of units that are down due to this issue
· G80-based cards should be able to program the correct resolution on flat panels with xf86-video-nv 1.99.1 and higher.
· This is not something we can implement for earlier GPUs and will look to update documentation
· NVS285 was the reporting board, which Mark confirmed is an NV44 which is in sync with the above findings
· Andy advised offline that due to our inability to update the TMDS encoder, we are limited to what the Vbios initializes
The original customer request has closed, therefore I'm closing this bug as this remains unresolved.