Over time, the memory used by XFree86 increases.
It seems to be related to how many processes
use the X server. When I start X on my computer
the X server uses 11Mb (1280x1024 32bpp).
After opening 20 konsole processes and 20
and closing them again the X server uses 22Mb.
Further usage of X increases the memory used.
I'm using the XF86_SVGA server and a friend also having
this problem is using the XF86_Mach64 server.
The problem has been seen under both KDE (1.1.2 snapshot)
and fvwm (shipped with redhat6 and then using xterm
instead of konsole).
We've seen the memory usage of X go up to 90Mb.
After I quit X and went back to the shell, I found some of the
xterm did not remove.
I login into the system as 'root' and runs X windows
(startx, using FBDev) with GNOME. I open several 'xterm', when
I leave, I did not close those 'xterm' and I just choose logout
under GNOME. So, I go back to the linux shell. When I use top to
check the memory usage, I found those 'xterm' still exist and taking
I've try this under GNOME, xdm (fvwm95) and I still get the
same thing, but I did not try this under KDE. I use the regular
'xterm', not the 'GNOME-terminal'.
I am not sure I have to remove all xterm myself before I quit or
this is a bug or I did something wrong.
I am using redhat 6.0, distribution under info-magic 6 CD set.
Please check, thank you for your time.
Name: Wai Lun Wong.
make sure you have the XFree86 and utempter errata files, they fix the
"xterms not dying" problem.
X isn't really leaking memory. When programs use X pixmaps, they take
up server memory. kfm is a big culprit here, and the KDE team knows
about it, they are working on fixing the problem for KDE 2.0.
Netscape is another beast, but i doubt that AOL is going to fix this.
Basically, there is nothing that can be done about this other than to
write "smarter" and more "lightweight" X clients.