Description of Problem:
Dialing from the user acct sees on-line performance very pitiful. The max
shown in the 'stats' box is 6k, with the usual being anywhere from 100
bytes/sec to 1.5k/sec. As ROOT, however, the performance skyrockets:
'stats' shows 12k max, with the usual throughput being anywhere from
5.4k/sec to 7.xx k/sec. I've come to using ROOT for most my work on-line,
reserving my user acct for anything that does not require being on-line.
Each & every time I connect this is evident, w/o exception.
Steps to Reproduce:
2. load 'Details'
3. Surf & watch what happens.
Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT
AMK K6-2 3D processor
4.03GB HD (all RH Linux)
Guess I should have given this one a higher priority... it really is a major
PITA having to log out & log in as root to do on-line work, then back to the
user acct to dispense w/the data acquired.
NOTICE!!!! Another note of possible interest:
I logged onto the 'net using the <user_acct> and attempted to d/l a web page.
The x-fer rate was in the neighborhood of 500b/sec to 1kb/sec. So... I used
CTRL-ALT-BKSPC & logged in as ROOT (which, of course, maintains the
connection), then attempted to access the self-same web page. The result was
a shocking 10kb+/sec. Now-then, anyone who can tell me what the devil is
going on here can have dinner on me. Name the restaurant, give me their
phone# and I'll pay the [reasonable] $15-20 bill. <G>
As of this date --05JUL01-- I have now installed all updates on your FTP site.
If it is installed on this machine, the same RPM is updated. Still, the poor
modem connection performance problem persists.
Please verify this with a newer version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora
Core and reopen it against the new version if it still occurs.
Closing as "not a bug" for now.