Bug 471583 - Partly parses cli arguments given after command
Partly parses cli arguments given after command
Status: CLOSED NOTABUG
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: yum (Show other bugs)
9
All Linux
medium Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Seth Vidal
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-11-14 09:05 EST by Bradley
Modified: 2014-01-21 18:06 EST (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-11-14 10:25:21 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Bradley 2008-11-14 09:05:54 EST
Description of problem:

Wanting to grab the latest kernel from updates-testing, I did:

# yum update --enablerepo=*testing 'kernel*'
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, fedorakmod, keys, presto, refresh-
              : packagekit, security
Setting up and reading Presto delta metadata
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing                        | 2.7 kB     00:00     
bb48e43af3fe7a74401deac1f0f45628661048c3-primary.sqlite. |  24 kB     00:00     
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing
rpmfusion-free-updates-testing                           | 2.7 kB     00:00     
1b808b6fd8aa8f659fadd486b2f96bf77a71c998-primary.sqlite. |  40 kB     00:01     
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-free-updates-testing
updates-testing                                          | 2.3 kB     00:00     
No Presto metadata available for updates-testing
No Presto metadata available for livna
No Presto metadata available for fedora
livna-testing                                            |  951 B     00:00     
primary.xml.gz                                           |  206 B     00:00     
No Presto metadata available for livna-testing
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-free-updates
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-free
No Presto metadata available for adobe-linux-i386
No Presto metadata available for rpmfusion-nonfree
No Presto metadata available for updates
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing: mirror.transact.net.au
 * rpmfusion-free-updates-testing: mirror.transact.net.au
 * updates-testing: mirror.optus.net
 * livna: livna.cat.pdx.edu
 * fedora: mirror.optus.net
 * livna-testing: livna.cat.pdx.edu
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.transact.net.au
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.transact.net.au
 * rpmfusion-free: mirror.transact.net.au
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.transact.net.au
 * updates: mirror.optus.net
Excluding Packages from Adobe Systems Incorporated
Finished
Skipping security plugin, no data
Setting up Update Process
No Packages marked for Update

which confused me. I tried

# yum update --enablerepo=*testing

which also gave me no packages.

Eventually I worked out that the problem was that I'd typoed the command - I should have had:

# yum --enablerepo=*testing update 'kernel*'

but the confusing thing was that the extra repos did have metadata downloaded.

If yum is going to (correctly, IMO) treat stuff after the command as a package name rather than an option, then it shouldn't have parsed or loaded the extra repos at all, which probably would have given me a hint.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

yum-3.2.19-3.fc9.noarch

How reproducible:

Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. See above
  
Actual results:

Extra repos parsed, metadata downloaded but not used

Expected results:

Either not have repos used at all, or should be used to look for possible updates.

Additional info:

This change would possibly break some scripts/users, eg 'yum update --skip-broken --changelog' currently offers to update all packages with valid dependencies after showing the changelog
Comment 1 James Antill 2008-11-14 10:13:13 EST
> Eventually I worked out that the problem was that I'd typoed the command - I
> should have had:

> # yum --enablerepo=*testing update 'kernel*'

 As far as I know the yum code cannot tell the difference between you typing any of:

yum --enablerepo=*testing update 'kernel*'

yum update --enablerepo=*testing 'kernel*'

yum update 'kernel*' --enablerepo=*testing

...and I've done all of the above, many times (although I'd usually quote or escape the * in the *testing case.
 Also note that on Fedora 9 you probably want to enable the updates-testing-newkey repo. which isn't selected by your above glob.
Comment 2 Bradley 2008-11-14 10:24:41 EST
Hmm.

Oh, bleh. I was actually typing

yum update --enablerepo=*testing update

which of course wouldn't work... And the kernel update didn't come through because I was missing the -newkey repo

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.