Bug 475467 - thunderbird freezes at random time
thunderbird freezes at random time
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: thunderbird (Show other bugs)
All Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Gecko Maintainer
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2008-12-09 06:05 EST by kae verens
Modified: 2008-12-15 13:40 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2008-12-15 13:40:51 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description kae verens 2008-12-09 06:05:19 EST
Description of problem:
after loading thunderbird, it freezes within minutes, with no apparent cause. it can occur while reading, writing a mail, moving mails, or simply having the application open.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:
every time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. open thunderbird
2. wait a few minutes
3. try anything
Actual results:
thunderbird freezes.

Expected results:
thunderbird acts as normal.

Additional info:
switching to another application and back shows that thunderbird is not refreshing its window.

no error message when thunderbird is called from CLI (freeze still happens)

happens with both Fedora RPM version and version as downloaded from Mozilla website (.tgz).

my system is a normal FC10 release except that my pango and cairo RPMs are FC9 versions (was causing huge problems in Gnome itself).
Comment 1 Matěj Cepl 2008-12-15 12:33:49 EST
Well, this is hard for me to triage -- looks like either problems with DNS or some storage problems (e.g., don't you use NFS for your $HOME?). I don't see any such behavior here.

Any ideas?
Comment 2 kae verens 2008-12-15 13:40:51 EST
this problem appears to have vanished since a yum upgrade I did a few days back. I did not report that as I was waiting for a week to see if it had actually vanished or just appeared to be fixed.

at the time of the problem, I was not using NFS.

The problem was definitely there - I did multiple reboots to make sure it wasn't a problem such as low memory, and it was not happening in any other application. However, it does not appear to be there now.

I'm marking it as Closed now - it appears to have vanished. I'm not sure what caused it, but whatever it was, it's not there now.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.