Description of problem:
I am unable to write characters with diacritics when I try to use diacritics chars manually. I tried with Slovak and Czech layout, with no success. This doesn't work in GTK (gedit, gnome-terminal,openoffice) and Qt(Opera,kopete) based, applications, Tk based (aMSN) works. On slovak keyboard layout there is "ˇ" and "´" char located on key left from backspace("+=" on USA keyboard.). When writing on this keyboard, after pressing "ˇ"(shift + "=" key) and for example s, this should produce "š" letter, however in Qt apps it makes "ˇs", GTK doesn't show anything. If u use keys 1-0 located on top of keyboard, which have assigned chars with diacritics, these chars are shown correctly. (2 for ľ, 3 for š etc.)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open any text entry field, set keyboard layout to slovak or czech.
2. Press shift + "=" key, press for example C, it should output č, but it does ˇc.
3. Or press just "=", and then e, this should produce é, but produces ´e.
Can not entry letters with diacritics manually, only can use these assigned to numeric keys. Qt produces ´e, ´r, ˇs, ˇc, GTK doesn't output anything.
After pressing "=" key on english keyboard, followed with e,i, should produce é,í, after pressing shift+"=" followed with s,c should produce š,č
Config from xorg.conf related to keyboard:
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet,sk,cz"
Weird, cannot reproduce here. I am Czech, so I should have similar problems to yours, but everything works now.
Please attach your X server config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf, if available) and X server log file (/var/log/Xorg.*.log) to the bug report as individual uncompressed file attachments using the bugzilla file attachment link below.
How do you setup your Czech/Slovak keyboard layout? In xorg.conf or via Gnome menus?
We will review this issue again once you've had a chance to attach this information.
Thanks in advance.
I did setup keyboard layout through Gnome keyboard config (system>preferences>hardware>keyboard), and I do switch layouts throught panel applet. At the moment I can write normally in GTK (terminal, openoffice) apps, Tk and Qt doesn't work. Going to attach xorg.conf and Xorg logs.
Created attachment 327571 [details]
Created attachment 327572 [details]
Created attachment 327573 [details]
Created attachment 327574 [details]
please fire up xterm and check if it works there. If it does, create a test user on your machine and log into this test user. Does it work with gtk there?
could be stale settings somewhere.
Reporter, could you please reply to the previous question? If you won't reply in one month, I will have to close this bug as INSUFFICIENT_DATA. Thank you.
(In reply to comment #7)
> please fire up xterm and check if it works there. If it does, create a test
> user on your machine and log into this test user. Does it work with gtk there?
> could be stale settings somewhere.
- xterm works
- when logged in as test user GTK works, Qt not, same as with previous username
ps: sorry for late reply, first message lost somewhere
Hi guys, I had this issue with aMSN and Lyx programs (not gtk or qt as you). This is the inverse of your problem, but you can try this:
1. Backup xorg.conf and delete it. In my system I don't have xorg.conf and keyboard is detected ok. Check if it's ok at System->Preferences->Keyboard.
2. Diacritics in Gtk and Qt programs should work.
3. Maybe some programs (amsn, lyx, etc) doesn't work with diacritics. I fixed this reseting XMODIFIERS variable (found in amsn forums). Try in terminal:
$> XMODIFIERS='' amsn
If the hack works, you can add XMODIFIERS='' to your .bashrc to avoid entering terminal each time.
PD: I don't think this is an evdev issue, seems a error in configuration of SCIM.
It seems this is bug of some wrong configuration between input methods in KDE and Gnome or something, though I'm not able to reproduce this bug and input works correct in KDE (only in gnome Qt apps don't support diacritics). I have switched to KDE and so solved this problem :)