Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 479658
OpenOffice 3 fails to open/save/lock files on SMB shares
Last modified: 2009-01-12 06:51:05 EST
Description of problem:
when accessing files on a SMB share the following happens, making OOo unusable:
- when opening a file, it is opened read-only and cannot be saved;
- when the file is closed the hidden lock file (.~lock.FILENAME#) ISN'T removed as it should;
- when the file is re-opened, it opens read-write despite the fact that a lock file is there;
- when then changes are made and a save is tried, it complains that it cannot be done due to some permission failure (this is false since write access on the share is granted and every other program is not having troubles).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
any OOo app acting on files on a SMB share
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open nautilus to a SMB share folder containing some OOo document;
2. click on document icon;
3. try to modify-save document.
document is first opened ro then, next time rw but no changes can be made (see above).
document should be accessed rw and changes should be saved on disk.
the problem occurs with community OOo version too (i386 and x86_64); the issue is probably somewhere upstream. I found out that many installations suffer from similar problems (see: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11255&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) but suggested workarounds had no effect.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 479199 ***