Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 484312
Virt type options need fixing
Last modified: 2009-09-10 15:24:15 EDT
* We need to filter out KVM if the product is Satellite. RHEL doesn't support KVM yet. The only options we should present in Satellite for virt types are:
- Para-Virtualized Host
- XEN Para-Virtualized Guest
We don't need the None option anymore because it really served no real function other than forcing users to create separate kickstarts for their PV guests and their standard machines.
* if user selects Para-Virtualized Host you get an ISE
This profile type is 'special' in that we add the xen and kernel-xen to the %packages stanza if you select this option. It makes it easier for users to create RHEL5 Host machines.
When syncing to cobbler we should just translate this para_host to 'xenpv' into the cobbler profile.
* we need to upgrade all existing 'none' types to xenpv
* fix queries that filter out profile types based on virt type. When kickstarting a virtual guest we should show every profile except ones with a type 'auto'
*** Bug 485220 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
All above fixes are applied in 530-re20090220.1. Moving to VERIFIED.
I have some questions in point 1 and 3:
(In reply to comment #0)
> * We need to filter out...
When creating/editing KS, I see 5 options in the "Virtualization Type:":
* KVM Virtualized Guest
* Xen Virtualized Host
* Xen Para-Virtualized Guest
* Xen Full-Virtualized Guest
and that seems perfectly OK to me -> I do not understand to this point. Is what I see correct?
> * if user selects Para-Virtualized Host you get an ISE
I was able to create Xen PV Guest KS and provision guest from the Satellite.
> * we need to upgrade all existing 'none' types to xenpv
I do not agree and I still see "None" in the list, but as this BZ was already verified, I'm confused. So again: is what I see correct?
> * fix queries that filter out profile types based on virt type. When
> kickstarting a virtual guest we should show every profile except ones with a
> type 'auto'
When I'm provisioning Xen virt guest (system -> Virtualization -> Provisioning), I see only guest KS profiles (and KS profiles not managed by Satellite). But when I'm kickstarting bare metal system (system -> Provisioning -> Kickstart -> Schedule), Xen PV Guests are correctly filtered out of the list.
1) Yes, what you see is correct.
3) What you see is correct, so we can close this out
4) The filtering sounds correct.
All sounds well.
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.