Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 486027
Display is always dimmed to 7 on power event
Last modified: 2013-03-05 22:57:59 EST
Description of problem:
Every time there's a "power event" like the power chord being unplugged or plugged, my Lenovo T61's display is dimmed to half it's brightness, even though I've set both "ac_brightness" and "battery_brightness" to 100.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Ensure that the following gconf keys are set to 100:
2. Either unplug or re-plug the AC.
3. Check brightness in /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness
* Screen is dim
* /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness shows a Level of 7
* Screen is bright
* /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness shows a Level of 15
Screen also dims when screensaver activates
Turns out this is actually a problem in HAL.
The property laptop_panel.num_levels is set to 7 on my panel. If I do this:
hal-set-property --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/acpi_brightness --key laptop_panel.num_levels --int 15
Then gnome-power-manager behaves as expected.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 475850 ***