From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90)
Description of problem:
When I run the 7.1 installer to upgrade from 6.0 on my system, it crashes,
but gives me a different error each time. Sometimes I get a python error,
other times it says "failed to dind /modules/modules-info",
sometimes "exec: Input/output error", and so on. I can't get it to fail
the same way twice in a row, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I run
it in graphical or text mode - same results. The system runs 6.0 happily,
so I don't think it's a hardware issue: I'm running a AMD K6-2 300mHz on a
Tyan Trinity 100AT, with 32 mb ram. Any ideas?
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Boot the computer from the CD
Actual Results: Varies from time to time. Sometimes you get as far as
choosing where to install from (i.e. local CDROM), other times it crashes
at the first blue screen.
Expected Results: It should go right into the installer.
boot with "linux ide=nodma" if that works, run:
for I in /proc/ide/hd*; do echo $I; cat $I/model; done
on your system and attach that info here.
No luck. Got the "failed to read /modules/modules-info" again.
Please try making a boot disk from boot.img and boot the installer from that.
I made the boot disk, but same problem running the installer - either it tells
me "failed to find /modules/modules-info" or I get a python error ("could not
find platorm independent libraries").
OK, I found the problem. I swapped out the CD-Rom drive (I tried changing
everything else, why not), and presto! Install ran beautifully the first
time. The drive that gave me the problems was an Acer 640A-172. Don't know
why it was happy under 6.0 and unhappy under 7.1, but there it is.
Glad to hear that you found the problem. Thanks for your report.