From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
Description of problem:
When editing Samba and trying to start/stop it in run level 2, SysV Init
will create the K35smb files in the various rcx.d directories, however it
will not create the S35smb files. You also can't edit the smb item to
reassign numbers because smb will not appear in the process list. Also,
because the S35smb files aren't there, samba doesn't start at boot. I'm
using RH7.1 with samba-2.0.10-2
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install samba server pkg from CD 2, upgrade to samba-2.0.10-2
2. Start control-panel in console window
3. Click on SysV init icon
4. Click on smb task in left hand pane and choose Add
5. Add it to run level 2
6. It will offer to let you set the number, but smb will not appear in list
7. Select smb and click on Edit. Try to set the number, smb is not in list
8. Go to /etc/rc.d/rc2.d and look at files. You'll see K35smb but not
S35smb. Same for other run level directories.
Actual Results: S35smb files are not created in the various run level
directories so samba doesn't start at boot.
Expected Results: Both K35smb and S35smb file should be created in
various run level directories.
This is very reproducable. I've tried it on 2 VMWare virtual machines and
one physical desktop machine.
It won't be in the list because it hasn't been added when it lets you set the
number. Also, you forgot a step. If you want to add it to start (the default is
to stop) then you have to select that option after you select "add" and have
A better way to add/remove services is to use chkconfig. Here's how you would do
it if you are wanting smb to start in runlevel 2 (to have it come on):
/sbin/chkconfig --level 2 smb on
To have it turn off instead of start:
/sbin/chkconfig --level 2 smb off
I am closing this as not a bug.