Bugzilla will be upgraded to version 5.0. The upgrade date is tentatively scheduled for 2 December 2018, pending final testing and feedback.
Bug 4953 - slocate does not work properly
slocate does not work properly
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: slrn (Show other bugs)
All Linux
high Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: David Lawrence
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 1999-09-07 11:53 EDT by blaine.kubesh
Modified: 2008-05-01 11:37 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 1999-09-13 00:21:24 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description blaine.kubesh 1999-09-07 11:53:15 EDT
After a clean install of RH 6.0 on my box which has an 8Gig
drive I tried to do a locate on files that I know are on my
system. Locate fails to find most of my filenames on my
drive. I tried to re-install the slocate rpm as well as
deleting the /var/lib/slocate/* files and running updatedb
-u. This still did not work, arbitrary locates to files that
I know exist on the drive failed. Locate does return a
response but it is like the index is too small, it is just
not getting all of the results.
Comment 1 blaine.kubesh 1999-09-07 11:54:59 EDT
slocate does not appear on the component bug list!
Comment 2 blaine.kubesh 1999-09-07 14:31:59 EDT
- updatedb no longer does an slocate -u in RH6
  when typing updatedb you get usage, it should run slocate -u

- Here is an example of it not working. Try to do a locate on a known
  file like XBanner, i.e. 'locate XBanner'
  which is located in /usr/X11R1/lib/X11/app-defaults and notice
  that locate returns nil.
  (This example and others worked fine in RH5.2 and earlier)
Comment 3 Bill Nottingham 1999-09-07 15:28:59 EDT
Try the latest slocate from Raw Hide.
Comment 4 blaine.kubesh 1999-09-08 17:23:59 EDT
slocate-2_0-1 solved the problems I was having

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.