Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 495331
NetworkManager will not connect to wireless AP even though I can manually
Last modified: 2010-06-10 01:17:53 EDT
Created attachment 339208 [details]
/var/log/messages logs of the failing attempts by Network Manager
Description of problem:
My older test laptop, a Sony SRX87 with "Orinoco" card in it, has always worked fine wireless. I've never been able to get WPA on it due to its old wireless card, so I have a secondary AP set up here which is MAC filtered for this machines wireless card.
Since installing F11 I have not been able to get NetworkManager to connect to this AP any longer, even though I've tried disabling MAC Filtering (just in case), tried the WPA router here (supposedly the FW that's called out to be used now from dmesg supports it?), etc.
What does work is stopping NetworkManager ; iwconfig eth1 essid ssid ; dhclient eth1, and it works every time.
I have loaded the following firmware into /lib/firmware, as I could not find it in Fedora and the orinoco module was calling it out in dmesg, I found what appeared to be appropriate. It's name is agere_sta_fw.bin
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Not sure how to say how to reproduce it, I reproduce it 100% of the time. I'm willing to try any suggestions to find workarounds to make NM work to get it fixed.
Attaching relevant /var/log/messages logs after a fresh boot, during which I try to connect, let it fail a few times, then service NetworkManager stop and proceed to iwconfig/dhclient and connect.
Doesn't look like smolt really picked up much about the wireless card that I can see, I thought it would have.
Not sure what info to provide, here's dmesg output about it:
pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket1: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 1
pcmcia_socket pcmcia_socket1: cs: memory probe 0xf4100000-0xf41fffff: excluding 0xf4100000-0xf410ffff
pcmcia 1.0: pcmcia: registering new device pcmcia1.0
orinoco 0.15 (David Gibson <email@example.com>, Pavel Roskin <firstname.lastname@example.org>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.15 (David Gibson <email@example.com>, Pavel Roskin <firstname.lastname@example.org>, et al)
eth1 (orinoco_cs): not using net_device_ops yet
eth1: Hardware identity 0005:0002:0001:0002
eth1: Station identity 001f:0001:0006:0010
eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.16
orinoco_cs 1.0: firmware: requesting agere_sta_fw.bin
eth1: Attempting to download firmware agere_sta_fw.bin
hermes_dld: AUX enable returned 0
hermes_dld: AUX disable returned 0
Orinoco can actually do WPA now as of 2.6.27, but you'll need to get v9 firmware from somewhere. Like:
In any case, can you add "-dddt" to the end of the Exec= line in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service, then 'killall -TERM wpa_supplicant' (as root), then try to reconnect? When it fails, grab /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log and attach it to this bug. That will shed a lot more light on what's going wrong.
Since the WE-18 support in orinoco is so new, I'm not really surprised that it could be failing for WEP or open networks.
ahem, I wish you'd reminded me that downloading firmware from GIT screws up the encoding ;-) recode utf8..iso8859-1 agere_sta_fw.bin
And to do it, I had to acpi=off because the laptop would bomb, couldn't even get into init 1. orinico didn't like loading corrupted firmware I guess.
Anywho, I'm attaching the logs. For giggles I've tried my unencrypted AP and my WPA AP. Neither would connect.
Created attachment 339776 [details]
WPA Supplicant log with -dddt as described
This bug has been triaged
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 11 development cycle.
Changing version to '11'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
I am experiencing the same issue with my system. The stranger part is that the older kernel (184.108.40.206-167) works, but the newest kernel (220.127.116.11-64) does not. I have already tried re-installing all associated apps and firmware but I have yet to determine the issue.
(In reply to comment #7)
> I am experiencing the same issue with my system. The stranger part is that the
> older kernel (18.104.22.168-167) works, but the newest kernel (22.214.171.124-64) does
> not. I have already tried re-installing all associated apps and firmware but I
> have yet to determine the issue.
Scott, do you have an orinoco card? If not, could you file another bug report your specific issue?
Walter: does this still happen with latest F11 kernel updates (126.96.36.199-96.fc11) ?
This message is a reminder that Fedora 11 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 11. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '11'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 11's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 11 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
CLosing due to lack of response. Walter, if this still happens with a recent kernel (latest is 188.8.131.52-105) please re-open. Thanks!