Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 495961
Out of memory error when adding errata
Last modified: 2009-09-10 16:35:40 EDT
Created attachment 339729 [details]
relevant part of the catalina.out
Description of problem:
Adding errata (all rhel 5 64bit) to cloned channel using web GUI ends with "Internal Server Error" web page. Tomcat/catalina reports Out of memory error.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. create cloned channel with no errata
2. add all available errata (currently we have 844 rhel5 erratas)
3. action ends with out of memory error
Internal Server Error web page
Errata added to the cloned channel
System is HP Proliant with 8G of RAM
RHEL 4 x86_64 U7
I verified the same problem exists even in xen virtual machine with the same OS and with 2G-4G of mem.
See attached catallina message log
I do not have a RHEL 5 x86_64 + Sat 5.2 system at hand to attempt to replicate.
Using a RHEL 4 x86_64 + Sat 5.2 system with 4 gig RAM - I had a RHEL 5 channel cloned, with no cloned errata. I then went to the Channel > Errata > Clone (network/software/channels/manage/errata/clone.pxt) and successfully cloned almost 1000 errata to the channel.
967 errata cloned into Clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64).
3 errata published to Clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64).
This code path is functional, so I am going to ask that you please open a support ticket for this. We can then review/investigate further to determine why it is failing for yourself. Once our support team has assisted in tracking down this to a specific issue, we can determine if code changes are needed.
Created attachment 340133 [details]
The menu for add errata action
Created attachment 340134 [details]
Overview of selected errata
Created attachment 340135 [details]
Result of the add errata action: Internal server error
Hi. We use RHEL 4.7 x86_64, too. The only difference I am able to see is we use the "Add Errata" way, not the "Clone Errata". As I understood, the "Clone errata" is going to be deprecated, isn't it?
I added some screenshots to describe the proces. We will file the service ticket on Monday.
Hi - thank you for the screen shots. I was able to replicate myself as well - Java out of memory errors, after waiting 2+ hours for it to complete. I am going to align this for further developer review as part of the 5.3 Satellite development cycles.
So i wasn't able to reproduce the Out of memory error, but this may be due to some changes that were made previously for satellite 5.3 that made the errata process asynchronous.
I did notice that in several situations though, some of the pages would time out because they would take too long to load. So i improved the queries greatly, which should reduce page load time.
Another thing it was doing was not re-using cloned errata if one existed for a particular errata. Now i re-use them. This brought the time down to be similar to the old perl page for clone errata.
QA might be able to reproduce the out of memory errors (if they still exist).
To try to reproduce,
1. clone a channel to it's original state
2. Go to channels -> manage channels -> click on that clone -> errata -> add -> add red hat errata -> select all -> confirm -> clone
3. Within a few seconds the page should come back. monitor /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out for the next 10-15 minutes and make sure no tracebacks are thrown.
Verified. Errata clones without any traceback in /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out.
verified in stage on xen5.
I went according to #9 and got:
Succesfully added 3322 package(s) and scheduled 936 errata to be cloned to channel ...
No errors in catalina.out
An advisory has been issued which should help the problem
described in this bug report. This report is therefore being
closed with a resolution of ERRATA. For more information
on therefore solution and/or where to find the updated files,
please follow the link below. You may reopen this bug report
if the solution does not work for you.