Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 499656
virt-manager Scaling->Always - scales the guest screen up but not down.
Last modified: 2013-09-02 02:35:18 EDT
Description of problem:
This may be intentional, but while testing https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Console_Graphics_Scaling it seems that the virt-manager/virt-viewer window correctly scales the guest window when the window size exceeds the guest native resolution. However when making the guest window smaller, it doesn't scale down with the window size.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
virt-manager correctly scales the guest screen up when increasing the window size, but the opposite is not true. There seems to be a lower bound when scaling down the window.
Free scaling of the window above or below the native resolution of the guest.
Virt-manager needs to call vnc_display_set_force_size(FAlse) to stop GTK-VNC setting a minimum size on the widget. When doing so though, virt-manager needs to be sure to respond to 'vnc-desktop-resize" signals and set its window to a reasonable initial size, otherwise you'll end up with a 1x1 pixel VNC window by default :-)
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 11 development cycle.
Changing version to '11'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
Addressing this bug correctly is quite hard, because there's many scenarios to deal with. The virt-viewer app pretty much does it the right way now
1. Scaling is always enabled
2. Upon vnc-desktop-resize, the top level window is automatically resized to allow entire VNC desktop to be viewed at 1:1 size if possible
3. If the VNC desktop won't fit on host desktop at 1:1 size, then top level window is resized as large as possible and the VNC desktop scales to fit what's available
4. If the user manually resizes the top level window, then no further automatic window resizing will be done - the VNC widget will always scale to the user's requested window size.
5. The VNC widget is placed inside a GtkAlignment, and this is controlled such that the VNC widget always maintains a normal aspect ratio.
Okay, taking some inspiration from Dan's virt-viewer code (and vinagre), I've fixed this upstream, but managed to maintain the disabled scaling option and fixed the scrolled window interaction. Moving to POST.
This would be a bit risky to backport to F11, but it should now be available in rawhide with virt-manager 0.8.1, so closing as RAWHIDE.