Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 503241
e2fsprogs-1.41.4-6.fc11 does not support external journals
Last modified: 2009-06-02 15:32:23 EDT
Description of problem:
mke2fs -O journal_dev creates invalid external journal
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Assuming available block devices sdb1 and sdc1
2. mke2fs -O journal_dev /dev/sdb1
3. mke2fs /dev/sdc1
4. tune2fs -o journal_data -j -J device=/dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
tune2fs: Filesystem has unexpected block size
while trying to open journal on /dev/sdb1
tune2fs 1.41.5 (23-Apr-2009)
Creating journal on device /dev/sdb1: done
This filesystem will be automatically checked every 36 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Problem is acknowledged as fixed in release notes for e2fsprogs 1.41.5. I am able to confirm the problem is fixed by using 1.41.5 instead of the Fedora 11 provided mke2fs.
You just missed it ;)
* Wed Apr 22 2009 Eric Sandeen <firstname.lastname@example.org> 1.41.4-8
- Fix support for external journals
Can you try the more recent e2fsprogs in F11? (it should be tagged for F11 already...)
currentrelease, rawhide... it's all confusing right now :) but anyway this should be fixed.