Bug 50349 - bind does not report zone syntax errors
bind does not report zone syntax errors
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: bind (Show other bugs)
7.1
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2001-07-30 14:01 EDT by Karl schmidt
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:35 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2003-08-01 15:05:32 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Karl schmidt 2001-07-30 14:01:06 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)

Description of problem:
Named would work but was flakey timing out and sending out temporary 
blocks to incoming mail some of the time. Checking the logs revealed 
nothing, so I turned on some debug logging in named.conf but it wouldn't 
make the new log file, yet ran without any error to the main log. 

After checking countless things I found that bind 9 comes with a "bind-
checkzone" utility. Turns out some zone from a friends site had syntax 
problems. This would have been reported in bind 8). The format of bind-9 
zone files has changed slightly and the old bind-8 format was causing an 
un-logged problem. (why doesn't named run "bind-checkzone" when  
restarted?) 

Once the zones were fixed, everything worked - bind started making the log 
files that would have pointed out the problem. If you upgrade to bind 9, 
you need to be aware of "bind-checkzone" and run it manually. 

I believe that 9.1.3 has a long list of bug fixes

How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Start with a zone file that has syntax problems
2.
3.
	

Actual Results:   Intermittent time outs in bind.
Logging would not create log file 

Expected Results:  Syntax errors would be reported on start up to main 
log. 

Additional info:

Turning debugging logging on did not help - as bind would not create log 
file. 

this is the log setup I used:


	exim-mta logging {
        channel "my_syslog"{
                syslog daemon;
		severity warning;
                print-category yes;
                print-severity yes;
                print-time yes;
	};
	channel "bind_log"{
		file "/var/log/named.log";
		severity debug 1;
		print-category yes;
        	print-severity yes;
        	print-time yes;
	};
	category "default" { bind_log; };
	category "notify" { bind_log; };		
	category "general" { bind_log; my_syslog; };		
	category "resolver" { bind_log; };		
	category "security" { bind_log; };		
	category "update" { bind_log; };		
	category "lame-servers" { bind_log; };	
}

I'm rating this as a High severity because many upgrading from bind 8 will 
not find the problem.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.