Bug 504887 - Evolution converts "&" characters into "&" when copying links [NEEDINFO]
Evolution converts "&" characters into "&" when copying links
Product: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Classification: Red Hat
Component: evolution (Show other bugs)
All Linux
low Severity medium
: rc
: ---
Assigned To: Matthew Barnes
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2009-06-09 18:29 EDT by Dave Malcolm
Modified: 2014-06-02 09:19 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2014-06-02 09:19:15 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---
pm-rhel: needinfo? (dmalcolm)

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Dave Malcolm 2009-06-09 18:29:08 EDT
Description of problem:
I often receive URLs via email, e.g. when registering with websites, and these URLs sometimes contain & characters.  Upon selecting the URL, copying, then pasting into firefox, the "&" characters in the URL are expanded to "&" characters, and the remote web site typically fails.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

How reproducible:

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Send self an email containing a URL with a "&" character, e.g. http://example.com?val1=foo&val2=bar
2. Browse to email
3. Right-click on URL; select "Copy Link Location"
4. Paste into gedit
5. Right-click on URL; select "Open Link in Browser"
Actual results:
at 4: URL is pasted thus, with the "&" character corrupted to "&":
at 5: firefox opens, but to link containing "&":
Broken URL is: "http://example.com/?val1=foo&val2=bar"

For "real" URLs, this typically breaks the remote server; I've seen redirects and internal server errors from this.

Expected results:
URLs should be preserved at both stages 4 and 5, it should simply be the URL we started with:
Comment 1 Dave Malcolm 2009-06-09 19:17:41 EDT
Bug appears to affects the Message Preview pane and regular message windows.

However, copying from "Message Source" windows appears to give correct URLs when pasted, so this can be used as a workaround.
Comment 2 Matthew Barnes 2009-06-09 21:30:11 EDT
We finally got this fixed recently upstream.  Bugs were in both Camel and GtkHtml, IIRC.  Should be able to backport it.
Comment 3 RHEL Product and Program Management 2009-11-06 14:02:46 EST
This request was evaluated by Red Hat Product Management for
inclusion, but this component is not scheduled to be updated in
the current Red Hat Enterprise Linux release. If you would like
this request to be reviewed for the next minor release, ask your
support representative to set the next rhel-x.y flag to "?".
Comment 4 RHEL Product and Program Management 2014-03-07 08:44:56 EST
This bug/component is not included in scope for RHEL-5.11.0 which is the last RHEL5 minor release. This Bugzilla will soon be CLOSED as WONTFIX (at the end of RHEL5.11 development phase (Apr 22, 2014)). Please contact your account manager or support representative in case you need to escalate this bug.
Comment 5 RHEL Product and Program Management 2014-06-02 09:19:15 EDT
Thank you for submitting this request for inclusion in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. We've carefully evaluated the request, but are unable to include it in RHEL5 stream. If the issue is critical for your business, please provide additional business justification through the appropriate support channels (https://access.redhat.com/site/support).

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.