Bug 506388 - localhost mounts not working
localhost mounts not working
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: autofs (Show other bugs)
11
All Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeff Moyer
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-06-16 23:53 EDT by Chris Schanzle
Modified: 2009-06-26 22:41 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 5.0.4-33
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-06-26 22:41:02 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
debug logs (7.81 KB, text/plain)
2009-06-16 23:53 EDT, Chris Schanzle
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Chris Schanzle 2009-06-16 23:53:39 EDT
Created attachment 348206 [details]
debug logs

apparently this has been a problem in the past, sorry to bring it up again, I really tried to check it's not a local configuration problem.

Description of problem:
mount of 'localhost:/path' is not working

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
autofs-5.0.4-25.x86_64


How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. export local directory, ensure it works with manual 'mount ... localhost:/path/ /mntpoint'
2. try to automount it
  
Actual results:
With debugging enabled, /var/log/messages reports:

 handle_packet: type = 3
 handle_packet_missing_indirect: token 1117, name schanzle, request pid 4394
 attempting to mount entry /home/schanzle
 lookup_mount: lookup(program): looking up schanzle
 lookup_mount: lookup(program): schanzle -> localhost:/local/home/schanzle
 parse_mount: parse(sun): expanded entry: localhost:/local/home/schanzle
 parse_mount: parse(sun): gathered options: tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid
 parse_mount: parse(sun): dequote("localhost:/local/home/schanzle") -> localhost:/local/home/schanzle
 parse_mount: parse(sun): core of entry: options=tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid, loc=localhost:/local/home/schanzle
 sun_mount: parse(sun): mounting root /home, mountpoint schanzle, what localhost:/local/home/schanzle, fstype nfs, options tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid
 mount_mount: mount(nfs): root=/home name=schanzle what=localhost:/local/home/schanzle, fstype=nfs, options=tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid
 mount_mount: mount(nfs): nfs options="tcp,intr,nodev,nosuid", nosymlink=0, ro=0
 mount(nfs): no hosts available
 dev_ioctl_send_fail: token = 1117
 failed to mount /home/schanzle
 handle_packet: type = 3
 handle_packet_missing_indirect: token 1118, name schanzle, request pid 4394
 attempting to mount entry /home/schanzle
 dev_ioctl_send_fail: token = 1118
 failed to mount /home/schanzle

See attachment for untrimmed, detailed autofs startup + fail logs.
Comment 1 Ian Kent 2009-06-17 00:53:10 EDT
Could you try this build please
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/autofs/5.0.4/31

It doesn't seem to have made it out to updates testing yet.
Ian
Comment 2 Chris Schanzle 2009-06-17 08:04:54 EDT
Yes, autofs-5.0.4-31 seems to work.  Yay!  I read the changelog - hard core low-level details, but nothing about fixing this symptom; might be helpful to some if you noted how a codefix solved a user-level issue.  Much appreciated!
Comment 3 Ian Kent 2009-06-17 09:43:17 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> Yes, autofs-5.0.4-31 seems to work.  Yay!  I read the changelog - hard core
> low-level details, but nothing about fixing this symptom; might be helpful to
> some if you noted how a codefix solved a user-level issue.  Much appreciated!  

Yeah, the changelog isn't really the right place.
The problem is that you have IPv6 enabled and an autofs function
was returning a fail instead of ignoring the address.

Ian
Comment 4 Chris Schanzle 2009-06-17 14:20:34 EDT
My guess is the IPv6 fix isn't mentioned in %changelog yet.  :-)

I hope you're not suggesting %changelog entries are not the right place for describing user-visible resolutions.  When installing/updating a package, that's the go-to place users + admins find out what's new & different.  Fedora Packaging Guidelines says "[changelog entry] is important not only to have an idea about the history of a package, but also to enable users, fellow packages, and QA people to easily spot the changes that you make."

Anyway, perhaps the changes to /etc/hosts on F11 are what's creating this regression, as it contains localhost alises in the ipv6 line:

::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

F10 had:

::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Thanks much, Ian.  I'm sure you had no idea what you were getting into with autofs when you took it over years ago.  It's been a rough ride at times, usually smooth  sailing, but from here, always very, very much appreciated.
Comment 5 Ian Kent 2009-06-17 23:39:44 EDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> My guess is the IPv6 fix isn't mentioned in %changelog yet.  :-)

But it is:
* Wed May 6 2009 Ian Kent <ikent@redhat.com> - 1:5.0.4-27
- dont fail on ipv6 address adding host.

> 
> I hope you're not suggesting %changelog entries are not the right place for
> describing user-visible resolutions.  When installing/updating a package,
> that's the go-to place users + admins find out what's new & different.  Fedora
> Packaging Guidelines says "[changelog entry] is important not only to have an
> idea about the history of a package, but also to enable users, fellow packages,
> and QA people to easily spot the changes that you make."

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that, first we can't know in
advance side effects we haven't seen yet, and attempting to add
descriptions for those we may be aware of would bloat the changelog
and probably cause people to miss the important concise description
that should appear in it.
 
> 
> Anyway, perhaps the changes to /etc/hosts on F11 are what's creating this
> regression, as it contains localhost alises in the ipv6 line:
> 
> ::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
> 
> F10 had:
> 
> ::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Perhaps, but the IPv6 code is new, and has been added in an attempt
to prepare for the support of NFS over IPv6, coming at some time in
the future.

> 
> Thanks much, Ian.  I'm sure you had no idea what you were getting into with
> autofs when you took it over years ago.  It's been a rough ride at times,
> usually smooth  sailing, but from here, always very, very much appreciated.  

Thanks, it has indeed been a difficult but great time and I'm sure
will that will continue. It's certainly come a long way, that's for
sure.

Ian
Comment 6 Ian Kent 2009-06-21 23:53:30 EDT
Could you now try this build please
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/autofs/5.0.4/33

It contains a updated patch that I think is what we want.
I'll also request a push test the testing repository.

Ian
Comment 7 Fedora Update System 2009-06-21 23:57:13 EDT
autofs-5.0.4-33 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 11.
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/autofs-5.0.4-33
Comment 8 Chris Schanzle 2009-06-22 10:46:14 EDT
localhost mounts are still working in -33.  Thanks!
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2009-06-24 15:33:37 EDT
autofs-5.0.4-33 has been pushed to the Fedora 11 testing repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
 If you want to test the update, you can install it with 
 su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update autofs'.  You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F11/FEDORA-2009-6849
Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2009-06-26 22:40:58 EDT
autofs-5.0.4-33 has been pushed to the Fedora 11 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.