Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 507554
Changes for MD boot support for isw array
Last modified: 2010-01-12 10:32:23 EST
Current implementation of mkinitd assembles MD array with specific name.
mdadm -As --auto=yes --run /dev/md126
But this is not supported for isw/imsm arrays. As workaround we propose to assemble all devices included in configuration file /etc/mdadm.conf using
mdadm -Asc /etc/mdadm.conf
Support for isw arrays need running application called mdmon to handle metadata events. This daemon needs to be started before the rootfs being mounted.
After the rootfs is mounted to /sysroot, mdmon is restarted in the new
namespace. The command "mdmon /proc/mdstat /sysroot" tells mdmon to
terminate any instances in the current namespace and then launch new
instances, chroot to /sysroot, per container device found in /proc/mdstat.
For example part of initrd:
mdadm -Asc /etc/mdadm.conf
echo Creating root device.
mkrootdev -t ext3 -o defaults,ro /dev/md126
echo Mounting root filesystem.
cond -ne 0 plymouth --hide-splash
echo Setting up other filesystems.
mdmon /proc/mdstat /sysroot
echo Switching to new root and running init.
NOTE: mkinitrd is being replaced by dracut for F-12, which does use mdmon prior to mounting and switch_root. Please verify that it works as expected. If not we need to know.
When will be dracut integrated in rawhide? Can I replace package mkinitrd by the dracut? Is dracut compatible with mkinitrd? My proposal is only temporary fix for mkinitrd to make possible testing whole installation process on MD array.
I've created raid 1 in OROM, during installation I've passed iswmd parameter to kernel, so anaconda installed system on md-raid1. I've installed dracut 0.4 and created image for initrd. I've updated menu.lst in grub. After reboot system activated raid using mdadm, but only with one disk.
(In reply to comment #3)
> I've created raid 1 in OROM, during installation I've passed iswmd parameter to
> kernel, so anaconda installed system on md-raid1. I've installed dracut 0.4 and
> created image for initrd. I've updated menu.lst in grub. After reboot system
> activated raid using mdadm, but only with one disk.
A number of patches from me to fix this have been merged in dracut git, so this
problem should no longer happen in dracut git. See here for the location of
Note I'm leaving for vacation for a week tomorrow, so I'll be incommunicado for
I've pulled git version (0.6) with the latest commit:
Author: Harald Hoyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu Jul 23 11:58:24 2009 +0200
dmraid/mdraid: only try to delete partition 1-1024
add "--nr 1-1024" to partx, otherwise partx will try to delete
partitions 1-INT_MAX, which takes a long time.
This version worked correctly. System started from raid 1.
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 12 development cycle.
Changing version to '12'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
This is a mass edit of all mkinitrd bugs.
Thanks for taking the time to file this bug report (and/or commenting on it).
As you may have heard in Fedora 12 mkinitrd has been replaced by dracut. In Fedora 12 the mkinitrd package is still around as some programs depend on
certain libraries it provides, but mkinitrd itself is no longer used.
In Fedora 13 mkinitrd will be removed completely. This means that all work
on initrd has stopped.
Rather then keeping mkinitrd bugs open and giving false hope they might get fixed we are mass closing them, so as to clearly communicate that no more work will be done on mkinitrd. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you are using Fedora 11 and are experiencing a mkinitrd bug you cannot work around, please upgrade to Fedora 12. If you experience problems with the initrd in Fedora 12, please file a bug against dracut.