Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 507783
Audacious fails to reinitialize itself when starting a new song in the playlist
Last modified: 2009-07-30 06:26:54 EDT
Description of problem:
I am usually using Audacious to play along a playlist with several hundred songs. After playing some songs, Audacious has problems when skipping to the next song. The next song appears properly on the display, but it isn't played at all or it is played with interruptions, intermittent noise or whatever. I typically fix this problem by rewinding to the previous song and skipping forward to the next song again: Now the same song is played without any problems.
The problem is not related to any particular file format: I notice it with both mp3 and ogg files, so its likely not the codec.
Rhythmbox doesn't have the same problem. I also didn't have this problem with Fedora 10. Finally, I have tried to upgrade to Audacious 2, using the SRPMS from http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-2.0.1-0.1.fc10.src.rpm
They suffer from the same problem.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Audacious
2. Load a playlist
3. Start playing a song from the playlist and wait for the 10th or 15th song.
At some point, new songs aren't played, or are played with interruptions or intermittent noise.
Songs are played just fine, thank you!
No apparently related messages appear on the command line. I only notice
(audacious:7906): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display:
assertion `atom != GDK_NONE' failed
What audio output plugin inside Audacious do you use? ALSA or PulseAudio?
According to Preferences / Audio / Current output plugin its ALSA. I'll change that to Pulseaudio and try whether it changes anything. Will report the results next week or so.
Also be sure to update to at least audacious-plugins-1.5.1-6.fc11, as the audio output driver is stored in the plugins package:
And note the fresh test-update that contains the brand-new "alsa-ng" plugin:
I am seeing somthing similar, also with audacious-1.5.1-9.fc11.i586, audacious-plugins-1.5.1-6.fc11.i586. However, in my case, audacious plays a single track and then freezes when it tries to play a second track.
My output plugin is ALSA, with a buffer size of 500 and outputting to the default device (PulseAudio).
Mixer card: SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353]
Mixer device: PCM
Using audacious's PulseAudio plugin avoids the problem.
Created attachment 354260 [details]
pstack trace of hung audacious process
> Using audacious's PulseAudio plugin avoids the problem.
I have just tried this work-around on a 500 MHz P3 machine, and pulseaudio's CPU usage was > 60%; the machine was effectively rendered incapable of multitasking. With the ALSA plugin instead (pulseaudio as the default ALSA device), pulseaudio's CPU usage was about 6%. This machine used a SB Live! card.
So basically, I'd much prefer to use audacious's ALSA plugin. To that end, I am attaching a pstack trace of a hung audacious process.
Created attachment 354261 [details]
pstack trace of hung audacious process, with debuginfo
The pstack trace is probably more useful with audacious's debuginfo packages loaded!
Chris, it's better to open a separate ticket, or else you're disturbing the NEEDINFO communication with the original reporter.
Also, please upgrade to audacious-plugins-1.5.1-10.fc11 from updates-testing:
There is at least one deadlock condition in Audacious 1.5.1 up to 2.1, and for one backtrace I've made, two main threads don't return from poll():
kernel-184.108.40.206-213.fc11 significantly improves ALSA and PulseAudio playback for me and also fixes the deadlocks, but according to rumours it may need another kernel update for further ALSA fixes.
Closing this ticket, as it's been sitting in NEEDINFO for a month.