Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 508206
FutureFeature: Netbook version of Fedora
Last modified: 2013-01-10 00:16:23 EST
This is a FutureFeature request:
A netbook version of fedora would be great, especially since these devices are fast becoming the best selling laptops.
Some things that would be good:
1. Make the install image so it's specifically for USB boot/install since almost all netbooks have no CD/DVD.
2. Make sure it's optimized for performance (streamlined for laptop not desktop)
3. Wifi ready, including N.
4. Make the taskbar so it can be "minimized" into the corner (and then expands when hovered over) so application windows can take advantage of the whole screen (since netbook screen are very short).
5. Include all the latest/greatest internet stuff pre-hooked up:
- google apps/docs pre-installed
- skype (make it camera ready as most of these netbooks have a built in webcam)
- some social networking
- youtube app (like the iphone/palm pre has)
- video app (to support mpeg, quicktime, wmv, etc out of the box)
- flash/ogg pre-installed in firefox
If Fedora does this right, it could be THE distro for netbooks!
There is a moblin spin being worked on, that's likely what you want. This isn't really the right place for such a request though.