Bug 508642 - Thunderbird 3.0b2 fails to connect to any account
Thunderbird 3.0b2 fails to connect to any account
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: thunderbird (Show other bugs)
11
x86_64 Linux
low Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Gecko Maintainer
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-06-29 05:51 EDT by Sebastian Krämer
Modified: 2010-04-08 19:39 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-04-08 19:39:34 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
thunderbird debug output (11.19 KB, text/plain)
2009-06-29 13:43 EDT, Sebastian Krämer
no flags Details
thunderbird debug output -- working (28.07 KB, text/plain)
2009-07-14 04:51 EDT, Sebastian Krämer
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Sebastian Krämer 2009-06-29 05:51:51 EDT
Since I installed f11, I'm unable to use thunderbird as email client. It just won't connect to any of my accounts (2x IMAP, 1x Usenet), it will just try for a while and then tell me that "login failed".
I can't say much atm, just that it does connect to servers, because when I give a wrong port it correctly mourns that the connection was refused.

I'm willing to debug/help but I don't know how to give more useful information right now.

I couldn't find an upstream bug for this issue (which is kind of strange, maybe..).
Comment 1 Matěj Cepl 2009-06-29 10:27:05 EDT
OK, a little bit of troubleshooting:

1) try to test your accounts with telnet in gnome-terminal:

   for IMAP account
   telnet servername imap
   
   for NNTP
   telnet servername nntp

(if you have SSL-only access to the accounts, use imaps and nntps instead).

You should get somehow sensible response, not error. If you get error then the problem is not with Trhunderbird.

2) We can use log from your communication with the server. Go to the gnome-terminal (or whatever terminal emulator you have) and run:

export NSPR_LOG_MODULES=IMAP:5
export NSPR_LOG_FILE=/tmp/thunderbird-imap-log.txt
thunderbird

And then attach to this bug /tmp/thunderbird-imap-log.txt to this bug report (please, check that there are no passwords or logins included).
Comment 2 Sebastian Krämer 2009-06-29 13:43:28 EDT
Created attachment 349830 [details]
thunderbird debug output

Hi, thanks for the instructions.

The telnet test was successful, I could connect normally. I should also mention that I use a web interface to the "first" IMAP/SSL server so the service is definitely running.

I also did the test on the terminal. I'm getting an "invalid certificate" because the certificate expired few months ago. But that should not be the issue here -- the other services are failing too. I'm attaching the log, hoping it's useful.
Comment 3 Sebastian Krämer 2009-07-14 04:51:21 EDT
Created attachment 351562 [details]
thunderbird debug output -- working

I created another profile (-ProfileManager) and added one account manually. Everything is working fine now so I assume tb3 has some problem with my old tb2 profile settings.
I attach debug output from a working session although I doubt somehow that it'll be of much use. Hopefully, this info is useful after all.
Comment 4 Vic Ricker 2009-07-16 18:49:52 EDT
When TB 3 upgraded my TB2 config, it changed one of the settings, I think to use secure authentication.  Edit your accounts and verify that the settings are correct.
Comment 5 Sebastian Krämer 2009-07-17 03:15:58 EDT
Hello Vic,

I couldn't see that tb3 changed/converted any of the settings.
Looking up the authentication method, I can confirm now that the settings should be correct. I have the "secure authentication" method unset (it uses SSL/TLS) and when I tried it also my working profile hung and complained that the server didn't support it.
Comment 6 Matěj Cepl 2009-07-20 10:57:38 EDT
Are you 1000% sure that your passwords are correct? Take a look at Edit/Preferences/Security/Passwords/Saved Passwords to check what you have.
Comment 7 Sebastian Krämer 2009-07-21 03:30:10 EDT
Hah, that's funny. The list shows empty! Login attempts are made regardless.
I'm 1000% sure that the passwords were saved and that they were correct before the upgrade.
Comment 8 Chris Campbell 2010-04-08 13:18:25 EDT
Reporter, can we get an update on the status of this bug please?



-- 
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
Comment 9 Sebastian Krämer 2010-04-08 14:01:11 EDT
I cannot reproduce the issue any longer. I recreated my settings once and that solved the issue I described.
I think (but I don't remember exactly) the issue was also solved when I reentered the passwords but that happened after I had that new profile. Probably, this was an upgrade issue only where the settings weren't converted correctly.
I'm using tb 3.0.4 now and newer had that problem again. It might still be a problem for people upgrading from tb2 but I cannot test that, sorry.
Comment 10 Chris Campbell 2010-04-08 19:39:34 EDT
Thank you. I'm going to set this issue to closed, but it will remain in the system in case someone else ends up with the same problem.



-- 
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.