Bug 509357 - nss-mdns from updates-testing breaks local name resolution
nss-mdns from updates-testing breaks local name resolution
Status: CLOSED DUPLICATE of bug 442047
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: nss-mdns (Show other bugs)
10
x86_64 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Lennart Poettering
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-07-02 08:43 EDT by Thomas Janssen
Modified: 2009-07-22 19:31 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-07-22 19:31:11 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Thomas Janssen 2009-07-02 08:43:06 EDT
Description of problem:
The nss-mdns from updates-testing 0.10-6 for x86_64 breaks the local name resolution. Internet in general was working, since i was able to download the 0.10-5 from koji within a VM on that box and downgrade it.

For example: host google.com    was working.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
nss-mdns 0.10-6 x86_64

How reproducible:
Install nss-mdns from updates-testing

 
Actual results:
local name resolution broken, no browsing

Expected results:
Everything working.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Bruno Wolff III 2009-07-03 15:22:30 EDT
This sounds close enough to what I am seeing, that I'll add to this bug rather than create a new one.
wine now pulls in nss-mdns which had me install it when I previously didn't. This broke dns lookups for some applications and not others. For example ssh, firefox, and cups were broken. nslookup continued to work.
The version I installed was 0.10-7.fc11. Removing it fixed things up.
I run a local resolver (dnscache) on 127.0.0.1 as specified in /etc/resolv.conf.
In order to affect a change a package needed to be restarted. For example after firefox was broken, uninstalling nss-mdns did not immediately fix it. I needed to restart it to get things working. For these apps, using IP addresses worked so it appears that dns resolution is waht was broken. I didn't see any logs for dnscache for attempted lookups when things were broken.
Comment 2 Bruno Wolff III 2009-07-03 16:17:14 EDT
What I am seeing might be a multilib dependency issue. I saw a comment on the wine bodhi feedback, that suggests that having nss-mdns.i586 installed, without having nss-mdns.x86_64 installed, breaks things.
Comment 3 Thomas Janssen 2009-07-05 01:45:20 EDT
Cant copy that. I had nss-mdns x86_64 installed. Because of wine, the x86 package got installed. Everything was still working. Next a bunch of updates from updates-testing was installed and it was broken.
5 Minutes of checking what could have broke it showed that the nss-mdns package was the suspect. Downgrading it fixed it. Sorry.

-- 
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
Comment 4 Thomas Janssen 2009-07-15 17:17:34 EDT
Forget my part on this bugreport. Bruno Wolff III is totally right with the multilib issue.
I confused two packages and a repository. My bad. Sorry. Totally a shame.

It was that wine installed nss-mdns.i386 on F10 and to install the x86_64 nss-mdns fixed it. I run the latest package flawless.

Again, sorry.

-- 
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers
Comment 5 Lennart Poettering 2009-07-22 19:31:11 EDT

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 442047 ***

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.