Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 50954
Non-intutive error message
Last modified: 2015-01-07 18:50:16 EST
Description of Problem:
After upgrading from Zoot to Roswell, up2date give the following
non-intutive error message:
Error communicating with server. The message was:
While running 'up2date.login': caught
apacheServer.UnknownXML : Invalid request received (function: up2date.login
up2date should contain user friendly error message translations for
low-level XML-RPC errors, such as the one above. This error message occurs
when the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2update contains a really outdated server
(e.g. priority.redhat.com). It should tell the user to run up2date
--configure to fix this problem. (or whatever the correct solution is)
We (Red Hat) should try to fix this for the next release.
I had the same problem. I tried various things, but I think the problem was
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date still had an entry pointing at the main rhn server,
not the beta one. I replaced this with the up2date.rpmnew file and reapplied my
customizations, and the update now seems to get much further - it times out
while trying to get the patch list. (An up2date -p may also be necessary after
I should have mentioned my upgrade was from seawolf to roswell.
Assigned to the owner of component
This is an artificate of the beta period. The new client uses a new
server api, that the current www.rhns.redhat.com servers dont support.
Since this was an update, your up2date config is still pointing
at these new servers instead of at beta.rhns.redhat.com, which
does support this new server function.
Easiest thing to do is probabaly to copy over the .rpmnew files
The live servers will soon support this new api as well.
I didn't mean this bug to be about the exact error message, but the fact that
up2date was throwing crypting errors in general. It should present the user
with a more user friendly error message, with a suggestion for a possible fix,
or someone to contact for more info.
the next version of the client does (it catches this xmlrpc fault
and presents a error dialog explaining how to fix it).
I can't get the client to throw this error anymore.
Closing out this issue then.