Bug 50984 - rpm core dumps (Seg faults)
rpm core dumps (Seg faults)
Status: CLOSED WORKSFORME
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: rpm (Show other bugs)
7.1
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Jeff Johnson
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2001-08-05 23:04 EDT by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:35 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-08-07 17:06:17 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2001-08-05 23:04:23 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.3-12 i686)

Description of problem:
Strange situation. I recently did a clean install of 7.1 on my previous
7.0 system from purchased RedHat CDs.

When I do a rpm -qa, it shows all the installed packages up to
StarOffice-5.2_34_569a20-2
Then Segmentation fault.
I have done this:
rpm -e StarOffice
        It removed it and gave no errors.
rpm -qa
        Same result, Seg fault after StarOffice-5.2_34_569a20-2
rpm -q StarOffice
        it reports it is not installed.
rpm --rebuilddb
        Seg faults
Using the same CD, I have done
rpm -i --force rpm-4.0.2-8

it installed again, no errors, but trying all the above results
in Seg Fault.
   
Also running up2date results in a python crash error shortly after the
progress window of retrieving list of files.

doing a 'file core' from the core file generated by up2date, reports
core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file of 'rpmq' (signal 11), Intel 80386, version
1,
+from 'rpmq'



How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.rpm -qa
2.
3.
	

Actual Results:  Seg Fault (See description)

Expected Results:  no seg fault

Additional info:

Not sure if installing StarOffice had anything to do with this or not, but
I did install it from the
linux applications CD, workstation edition.
Comment 1 Jeff Johnson 2001-08-06 06:35:09 EDT
Can you attach a pointer (i.e. URL, bugzilla attachments won't work) to
a copy of your database
	cd /var/lib
	tar czvf /tmp/rpmdb3-50984.tar.gz rpm
so I can see what's up? Thanks.

Meanwhile, most rpm segfaults are caused by bad headers in
the database. Try installing rpm-4.0.3-0.57 from ftp.rpm.org
and doing a "rpm --rebuilddb", as most (all that I know about)
of the segfaults are fixed there.
Comment 2 Need Real Name 2001-08-06 23:21:21 EDT
Have emailed a tar ball of /var/lib/rpm for testing.
Have downloaded rpm-4.0.3-0.57, rpm-build-4.0.3-0.57, rpm-python-4.0.3-0.57
and did a rpm -Fvh on all 3.
Then tried a rpm --rebuilddb
I get
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
Same as I did with previous version of rpm.
rpm -qa also gives seg fault.
Comment 3 Jeff Johnson 2001-08-07 16:50:34 EDT
Hmmm, this indicates the nature of the error
    cd /var/lib/rpm
    db_verify Packages 
    db_verify: Overflow page 2676 of invalid type
    db_verify: DB->verify: Packages: DB_VERIFY_BAD: Database verification failed

The remedy here is then
    cd /var/lib/rpm
    mv Packages Packages-ORIG
    db_dump Packages-ORIG | db_load Packages
and repeat the db_verify.

Still core dumps, on the package after Star Office. Turn on debugging, find
the record instance (#586)
Comment 4 Jeff Johnson 2001-08-07 17:06:13 EDT
Hmmm, resurrecting the toy program at bugzilla #38454, compile, run
get EINVAL return. Your database is pretty borked...

Escalating to hacking around header instance #586, back in a few ...
Comment 5 Jeff Johnson 2001-08-07 17:46:06 EDT
OK, record instances #582, #586, and #1 were boogered, now repaired.
Pick up ftp://people.redhat.com/jbj/rpmdb3-50984-FIX.tar.gz and do
	cd /var/lib/rpm
	mv Packages Packages-SAVE
	cd ..
	tar xzvf rpmdb3-50984-FIX.tar.gz
	rpm --rebuilddb -vv
and you should be golden.

What probably happened is that your database was already damaged
for unknown reasons when you installed StarOffice, and that damaged
other records. Please try reinstalling StarOffice, and, if the problem
happens again, reopen this bug with a pointer to the StarOffice package
that caused the problem.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.