Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 51050
"misc" font directory entry removed from .../fs/config during upgrade to Roswell.
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:35:32 EDT
After upgrade to Roswell, "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" is mysteriously
missing from the font server config file "/etc/X11/fs/config". The
directory is there, the "fonts.dir" file is present and correct (because it
works fine once the directory is added back to the catalog). Symptom is X
failing to start because it 'cannot open default font "fixed"'.
The directory was listed there prior to the upgrade, and I tried restarting
xfs first :o)
As an aside, I also found my entries for 75dpi and 100dpi appeared to have
been swapped, but that's a minor irritation :o)
Can't figure out why this should happen as the postinstall script looks
like it should have added the directory back in?
What version of X did you have installed previously?
Rawhide from a few weeks back (the last working 4.1 version, I think July 13th
release) with the DRI & DRM stuff recompiled from CVS. The (misc) fonts were
from Mike's RPM package, with no change (really). The only changes I made were
to get DRI working -- which incidentally is working now, with the installed
XFree86 RPM and the kernel + DRM module from before the upgrade.
This wasn't a big deal to fix, and I'm used to X being one of the problem areas
It's possible the postuninstall script from the _old_ package did something bad,
After a clean install of Roswell 7.1.94, I see this error message when trying
to start X-windows:
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
THis problem is in the older rawhide release. Upgrades between
rawhide releases is the cause of the problem and is unavoidable.
Anyone upgrading from rawhide X <= approx 0.9.10 or so, possibly
even later versions, to a new release, will see this problem.
firstname.lastname@example.org: The problem you are seeing is bug #51033, and
is fixed also.
Just to stress this: This bug is fixed, but anyone upgrading, will
still see it as a bug. The bug is in the _old_ package, and nothing
can be done about it. ;o)
I'm trying to figure out how to get xfs working - all the bugs point ot 50133
and 50133 is one of those bugs that the public can't see.
The solution is to upgrade to the latest XFree86-4.1.0-0.99.2 package.