Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 511197
[gcin] [Feature request] Please pack the voice data.
Last modified: 2016-05-30 02:22:11 EDT
Description of problem:
One of nice gcin features is gcin prounces the character you type, thus lower typo rate. However, the voice data is not packed in fedora.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Right click on gcin for gcin setup menu.
2. Click on "Default input method & Enable/disable".
3. Enable "Speak as you type".
Due to lack of voice data, this function is not functional.
gcin speaks as you type.
Voice data can be downloaded at:
How about make a gcin-voice sub-package?
Wait.. Um, Sorry.
I am thinking about to make the voice-data stand-alone, so other program can use it. How do you reckon?
Need to make sure the license of the ogg.tgz first.
Finally gcin's author agree to release gcin voice under GPL.
However, I would like to put the voice in bigger framework, see:
IMHO there are at least several ways to achieve that:
1. gcin voice data is packed as voicedata-zh_TW-gcin-EdwardLiu, while
we made the gcin-voice subpackage which requires voicedata-zh_TW-gcin-EdwardLiu
and make necessary links.
2. gcin voice data is packed as gcin subpackage, gcin-voice, while voicedata-zh_TW-gcin-EdwardLiu requires gcin-voice, and make necessary links.
3. Like 2, but gcin-voice is a standalone package.
4. Do nothing, except mentioning "Install voicedata-zh_TW-gcin-EdwardLiu
to 'enable speak-as-you-type'"
1) and 4) is preferred as it won't drag in unwanted additional dependency, while 2) requires gcin, and 3) is not very informative.
What do you reckon?
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 12 development cycle.
Changing version to '12'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
Just comment that in general it is preferred to follow
the Packaging Naming Guidelines. Otherwise you need
to get a guideline approved by FPC really.
gcin has been marked as "Retired orphaned" package in Fedora 24, hence, closing this bug as WONTFIX as of now. Please feel free to reopen it if required.
Reference : http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/gcin.git/commit/?h=f24