Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 518572
blkid requires ext2.ko to be decompressed on installation media
Last modified: 2009-08-24 14:22:57 EDT
Description of problem:
Existing ext2 filesystems are detected as ext4 by anaconda during installation. blkid detects ext2 as ext4, unless the ext.ko.gz kernel module is decompressed as ext2.ko.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Have an existing system with ext2 filesystems
2. Boot to installation medium
3. Select Custom Layout to observe anaconda's storage detection
ext2 filesystems are detected as ext4
Completing the installation results in an fstab which lists all reused ext2
filesystems as ext4 (which works, but isn't exactly correct)
ext2 filesystems are detected as ext2
anaconda relies on blkid to type filesystems
blkid relies on
1. ext2 in /proc/filesystems, or
2. ext2.ko in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
modules.dep on the installation media does not have ext2.ko, but does have ext2.ko.gz as "kernel/fs/ext2/ext2.ko.gz"
Switching to tty2 during initial anaconda startup and ...
1. decompressing ext2.ko.gz to ext2.ko
2. editing modules.dep to list the decompressed vs. compressed module
... results in the expected behavior from anaconda.
In tty2 with ext2.ko.gz, blkid output is:
/dev/sda1: LABEL="/boot" UUID="af5b7530-8a07-4de6-8a8f-9baa670620e4" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext4"
In tty2 with ext2.ko (not compressed), blkid output is:
/dev/sda1: LABEL="/boot" UUID="af5b7530-8a07-4de6-8a8f-9baa670620e4" TYPE="ext2"
I see three choices, any one of which should work):
1. ext2.ko must not be compressed on installation media
2. blkid (or whatever tools it uses) must be able to deal with compressed ko's
3. anaconda must interpret SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext4" blkid output as ext2
If blkid is really going to require filesystem modules to detect this information, it'd be nice if it supported compressed modules too. I believe all the modutils already support that format.
> Who When What Removed Added
> kzak 2009-08-21 14:18:05 EDT Status NEW MODIFIED
So it's fixed? What version? I didn't see anything in koji yet.
Sorry, should be ASSIGNED. I'm going to fix it ASAP.
Should be fixed in util-linux-ng-2.16-7.fc12.
Fix verified. Closing.