Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 52357
GUI login fails in both kde and gnome
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:36:15 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.76 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.2-2 i686)
Description of problem:
GUI login fails. Under gnome it just returns to login screen after entering
correct username and password. If incorrect data entered, login screen
returns that login is not authorized (as it should). Under kde, the
following error is returned after attempting to login: :startup program
/etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole exited with non-zero status. I am able to login
from the console and then run X (as root) by startx. If I login as another
user from the console and use startx it is erratic whether or not I can get
to a graphics screen. Sometimes yes and at other times get it fails with "
kdeinit: Fatal IO error".
I am running RedHat 7.1 with 2.4.2-2 kernel and XFree 4.0.3-5. I have a
Matrox Millenium G-400 AGP with 32MB memory and XFree is using the
XFree86-SVGA and mga driver.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.boot an init level 5
2.GUI login presents itself
3.login fails as noted above
Actual Results: See above, depends on whether I boot to Gnome default or
Expected Results: Should have been able to login and go to appropriate
I had trouble initially installing because the mouse was not recognized due
to IRQ conflict with sound card, so that X would not run adn continually
failed. Reported to support, but they were not helpful. Finally found cause
for X failure and corrected IRQ issue, but then had login problem. Reported
login problem and they said I should come to bugzilla.
This is most likely misconfiguration. xdm/gdm/kdm login works
perfectly fine in all of our QA testing. Please rerun Xconfigurator
and reconfigure X. If you are using a non-bash login shell you
may also experience different problems.
I ran Xconfigurator multiple times without relief. Finally I installed Redhat
7.1 as a new install and allowed it to reformat my disk. I originally had run
the redhat install as an upgrade. Once I ran it as a new workstation, the
problem went away. I can only conclude that the upgrade installation does not
remove or change things to prevent conflicts from the prior version. I can now
login without a problem. I cannot tell you more, but you may want to check the