I had four sound applications running:
* Firefox (with a Flash application playing NPR)
* Audacious (playing a radio station streaming MP3)
* Epiphany (with a Flash application playing YouTube)
All of the applications were paused except Audacious, which was playing audio. After I closed Epiphany, the Audacious audio output sounded garbled. Opening Sound Preferences, the line "ALSA plug-in [audacious]" is appearing and disappearing. It sounds like spurts of audio are being played at high speed, and then stopping, and starting again? There are a few seconds of silence between bursts of garbled music. Audacious keeps printing out "ERROR: neon: neon.c:970 (neon_aud_vfs_fread_impl): <0xb3b34aa8> Buffer underrun, trying rebuffering".
Hitting "Stop" in Audacious and then "Play" didn't fix the problem. Closing Firefox and trying "Stop" and "Play" in Audacious didn't fix the problem, but then after I closed Rhythmbox as well, I hit "Play" and I got normal audio from Audacious.
Created attachment 361790 [details]
Output from pulseaudio -vvvv after audacious starts playing
Today I experienced similar symptoms with only audacious playing audio. Its "place in track" indicator showed time passing at about 5 times normal, with scratchy fast forward-sounding audio to match. After it happened the first time, I started pulseaudio with -vvvv, and it happened again. It has happened both in the middle of an MP3, and right when the second MP3 on the playlist starts.
I excerpted the part of the output I get after audacious is already playing, until after I hit "Stop" in audacious.
Created attachment 362323 [details]
Output of alsa-info.sh --no-upload
Today I was experiencing garbled output from audacious, despite closing and restarting the program. It eventually became continuous, making the program completely unusable. The only other application playing audio was Rhythmbox, which was paused. I unpaused it, and hit "Play" in Audacious, which played music normally again. I was able to re-pause Rhythmbox without any garbled output (at least for the next few minutes).
It seems there is a more general problem with the PulseAudio server getting confused when multiple applications are connected. I am attaching more diagnostic info.
it seems more to me like audacious is the common factor here; have you ever experienced this problem with any *other* application?
audacious does have a native PA output plugin, IIRC - have you tried using that rather than the ALSA output plugin? it should be better behaved.
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
Well, after upgrading to Fedora 12, I don't believe I've experienced any such symptoms. I tried reproducing the bug by re-creating the circumstances in the initial report, but everything worked fine. I see in Audacious' preferences that it's now using the PulseAudio output plugin by default. Fine with me to close this, unless you want me to re-enable the ALSA output plugin and see if anything bad happens in daily use with F12.
This message is a reminder that Fedora 11 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 11. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '11'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 11's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 11 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
Fedora 11 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2010-06-25. Fedora 11 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.