Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 526154
localisation breaks sending mail
Last modified: 2010-07-21 09:37:27 EDT
Description of problem:
After update from beta3 to beta4 I noticed that I'm unable to send any mails. Trying to do so resulted into an error message that TB couldn't get password (message was in Czech). As I know there have been changes in handling passwords, I deleted all passwords and the related files from TB dir and tried again, with no result. TB was able to do IMAP/POP, but no SMTP. I also tried removing the SMTP servers and adding them again. Finally, when I wanted to get the unlocalised error message, it started to work, TB asked for SMTP password and sent my mails successfully.
I can reproduce the problem again, setting locale to "cs_CZ.UTF-8" breaks sending any mail, switching to "en_US.UTF-8" makes it possible again.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Hm, unable to reproduce within cs_CZ.UTF-8 locale (thunderbird-3.0-3.9.b4.fc12.i686).
Do you use any diacritic in your password?
No, the password is without diacritic.
Which security check you you use on your SMTP server? Looks like there are some problems with localization & secured SMTP servers...
It's an authenticated SMTP over SSL/TLS.
Created attachment 363193 [details]
SMTP log with reproduction
Yes it seems to be broken. For debugging to get a log take a look at https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging#Linux.2Funix for information how to do it.
Marking as F12 blocker since this could affect quite a lot of people (anybody with locale not set to en_US, probably).
Some more info:
- it seems that it affects only Czech localisation:), tried de_DE, sk_SK, zh_TW and nn_NO, all of them worked.
- copying Slovak localisation over the Czech one doesn't help.
- I filed this upstream too.
From the upstream feedback (see the referenced bugreport) it should be fixed in the RC which hopefully will make it into F12.
(In reply to comment #7)
> - copying Slovak localisation over the Czech one doesn't help.
I didn't notice there are files with language dependent names in the relevant directories, therefore it didn't work, otherwise the fix lies just in changing:
smtpEnterPasswordPromptWithUsername=Zadejte heslo k účtu %S na %1$S:
smtpEnterPasswordPromptWithUsername=Zadejte heslo k účtu %2$S na %1$S:
in the locale/cs/messenger/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties file which is in /firstname.lastname@example.org/chrome/cs.jar
This was discussed at the blocker meeting. As Milos' initial thought that this would affect all non-en locales turned out to be incorrect, we don't think this constitutes a release blocker; dropping to F12Target.
However, releng will certainly accept a tag request to have a fixed build put in F12 final, and it would be nice to see that. Martin, seems like Milos has identified the fix pretty exactly: can you fix this and send a build to Koji for testing and tagging? thanks!
Fedora Bugzappers volunteer triage team
Of course, s/Martin/Jan/ :)
Do not forget to fix this, please! If you don't have time let me know and I'll do that. I do not want to have a Thunderbird which cannot send mails in Czech localisation in F12 (because of such a dummy mistake)!
sunbird-1.0-0.13.20090916hg.fc12,thunderbird-3.0-3.10.b4.fc12 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 12.
sunbird-1.0-0.13.20090916hg.fc12, thunderbird-3.0-3.10.b4.fc12 has been pushed to the Fedora 12 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update sunbird thunderbird'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F12/FEDORA-2009-11329
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 13 development cycle.
Changing version to '13'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
thunderbird-3.0.6-1.fc12,sunbird-1.0-0.23.20090916hg.fc12 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 12.