Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 52998
stp driver not working
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:36:47 EDT
Description of Problem:
I usually don't use printtool, I use CUPS and gimp-print. This is because
my Epson Stylus Color 880 is very well supported by CUPS/Gimp-print, and
CUPS is easy to use (and configure) with the varios possible settings with
Today - with Fairfax RC2 - I would give printtool a try again. My usb
printer was detected, and I found my printer - it was set up with
stp-driver. (and lpd restarted...)
It doesn't work however - if I try printing I get (repeatedly) on my
"**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting".
Trying to "edit" my new printer-settings (dpi, colors) does not work, the
edit-box just vanish.
I have tried with paralell-port as well, same result.
Then I tried with a different driver, stc740 driver works for this printer
(but the results are not so nice). So I assume the problem must be related
to the stp driver.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. printtool (or printconf-gui), selecting local printer (lp) ->
/dev/usb/lp0 -> Epson -> Stylus Color 880 -> stp.
2. save settings (restarting lpd) -> print test.
3. trying to edit printer-driver-settings.
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting
- is repeatedly printed out.
when trying to edit printer-driver settings the box just vanishes.
1) A "normal" outprint, at least for text.
2) To be able to edit printer-settings
1)Printing directly to the device works (cat /etc/fstab > /dev/usb/lp0).
2)Using a different driver works as expected. (stc740).
3)No difference paralell-port/usb-port.
The problem is still there in Enigma. Epson Stylus Color 880 is not working
with the suggested driver (stp).
Yes, I also see this with the Epson 880 and stp.
The strange thing is that it works fine or as well as
expected from the stp driver with RedHat 7.1 for me.
The printcap files on both 7.1 & 7.2 are the same.
This is actually on Enigma not RC2.
I just see the line:
**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
Just wanted to add my input also.
Apply the updates, then perform:
rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic/compiled/* /var/cache/foomatic/pcache/*
this should fix it.
There was a typo in one of the updates, which didn't clear the cache.