Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 534140
clarifications for the pklocalauthority man page
Last modified: 2013-03-05 22:59:41 EST
The pklocalauthority man page is unclear on several points, and I think there are some simple changes that would improve it:
1) The man page doesn't contain any examples of a Local Authority Configuration file (although it does contain examples of .pkla files). A short example or two would make a big difference.
2) It mentions that the configuration file is a "key file", but it would be helpful to point out that these are also commonly called "ini files".
3) It says that there is a "Configuration group", but in the context, it's not entirely clear what this means. Even a minor rewording would be helpful: "a group called '[Configuration]'" instead of "a Configuration group".
4) The man page doesn't explain any way to override settings from earlier config files (the built-in files say "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, it will be overwritten on update."). Is there any way to, for example, remove the "desktop_admin_r" group from the AdminIdentities?
5) The files in /var/lib/polkit-1 refer to specific groups like "desktop_admin_r". Is there any way to use a different name for the "desktop_admin_r" role? For example, if a heterogeneous environment already has a "wheel" group, they might want the "wheel" group to be treated the same as the "desktop_admin_r" group without having to monitor upstream changes to files in /var/lib/polkit-1.
Thanks for all of your work on PolicyKit.
6) The manpage doesn't describe /etc/polkit-1/nullbackend.conf.
Thanks for the suggestions. Fixed in
This will be in a 0-zero update for F12.
(In reply to comment #1)
> 6) The manpage doesn't describe /etc/polkit-1/nullbackend.conf.
Hmm, this should be in a pknullauthority(8) man page. However the purpose of the null backend is mostly to serve as an example of other backends. Maybe we shouldn't install it.