Description of Problem:
I changed the address2 and email address for the billing address during
checkout. After clicking 'Continue' the screen refreshed and I was still
presented with the original information. Checking the database I found a
couple of things. First, the email address change that I made was
reflected in a 'B' site record, but the address2 changes was not reflected
in that record. Second, the site_info record creation was horribly broken.
Here's what happened. A copy of the original 'B' record was made and the
email address updated. The amended copy was then written to the site_info
table (short of the missing change to address2, we are correct to this
point.) Then another copy of the original site_info record was made and
written to the site_info table unmodified. So, the newest 'B' site_info
record was one that was a copy of the original, hence the information not
showing correctly in the checkout process.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
Issue is resolved in webqa. Just awaiting a push to resolve this on the live site.