All applies to less-358-21 from RawHide, but the same problems were in
358-16 from 7.1.
Description of Problem:
I. Less doesn't correctly chop long lines (the '-S' key command). This
happens regardless of locale -- I've tried ru_RU.KOI8-R and en_US. Instead
of chopping characters after column 80, it still displays them, itself not
knowing about it.
II. Less doesn't input 8-bit characters in e.g. "search" prompt.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Run "man Core" (requires appropriate openmotif-devel to be installed;
any other man page with wide tables would suffice), scroll it to the wide
2. Press '-S' to set "chop long lines" mode, and any other key for it to
The table after column 80 is still displayed, "overlaying" the normal
Right part of the table should be chopped.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Set locale to something 8-bit/singlebyte (e.g. ru_RU.KOI8-R).
2. Run less (e.g. "less /etc/passwd").
3. Press "/" to get search prompt and try to input some russian characters.
Instead of inputting the letters, "less" acts strange: it delays displaying
until next letter is pressed (as if it treates the first one as a dead
key); than it displays both of them with 8-th bit cleared (thus russian
letters convert to latin of opposite case).
The keys entered should be displayed.
The problem seems to be in the japanese patch. It is worth removing that
patch (less-358+iso247*.diff) from non-japanese Red Hat Linux
I got a patch in bug #79977 for the current less version which also fixes this bug.