Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 550177
Qt 4.6.0 fails to correctly render some bitmap fonts
Last modified: 2010-02-09 13:54:45 EST
Created attachment 380090 [details]
Description of problem: Qt 4.6.0 doesn't properly render Terminus font in Linux.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): 4.6.0
How reproducible: always, it's a regression.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install rawhide, Fedora 13
2. Install terminus font
3. Try to use it in any Qt/KDE application.
Actual results: Something terribly wrong is rendered instead of Terminus font.
Expected results: Proper rendering.
Additional info: Qt 4.5.3/Qt 3.5.8 don't have this bug.
I cannot reproduce on my F12 box with qt-4.6.0. Screenshot forthcoming.
Created attachment 380117 [details]
terminus appearning ok on f12 x86_64 box with qt-4.6.0-3
(In reply to comment #1)
> I cannot reproduce on my F12 box with qt-4.6.0. Screenshot forthcoming.
OK, let's go deeper into details.
1) Are you on Rawhide or Fedora 12?
2) Is your freetype compiled with --with bytecode_interpreter and --with subpixel_rendering ? (because that's how I use it here)
3) I can post my .fonts.conf so that we can investigate that further.
Yeah, I strongly suspect this is related to freetype.
rdieter: Try installing freetype-freeworld on F12 and see if you can reproduce it with that.
I cannot reproduce this bug on Rawhide, it only appears on *my* Fedora 12.
On Fedora 12 this bug has something to do with X server.
1) With NVIDIA proprietary drivers Terminus font is misrendered by Qt 4.6.
2) With Vesa driver Terminus font with size 9 is shown correctly, but with any other size, symbols are rendered as squares.
Also I've found out, that Qt 3.X which is not affected uses libXft to render fonts, while Qt 4.X don't use this library. The strange thing is that Qt 4.5.3 doesn't have this bug, and Qt 4.6.0 has this bug.
P.S. nv drivers doesn't work here so I cannot test it.
I have no idea how to find out the cause of this problem :(
f12 with stock freetype.
(In reply to comment #7)
> f12 with stock freetype.
Qt 4.6.0 is not available on F12, how did you install it?
Created attachment 381076 [details]
Bug reproduced in F12 + Qt 4.6.0
I have reproduced this bug in a VMWare VM in a stock F12:
Steps to reproduce:
1) Install a stock F12, without updating anything.
2) Update Qt 4.6.0 packages to their rawhide versions (qt-4.6.0-3.fc13.i686.rpm, qt-x11-4.6.0-3.fc13.i686.rpm via 'rpm -Uvh --nodeps').
3) Install terminus font.
4) run qtconfig-qt4, try to use Terminus font of different sizes.
Bug description is obviously erroneous, as this issue affects F12, not F13.
Can anyone else reproduce this? (I cannot)
(In reply to comment #11)
> Can anyone else reproduce this? (I cannot)
Have you tried to follow the recipe from comment 9? I can even upload a VM image demonstrating this bug.
Yes, terminus looks fine for me.
Can you please try qt-4.6.0-5 ? It includes a patch related to bitmap fonts (disables Xrender/antialiasing in this case).
I've just downloaded and installed qt-x11-4.6.0-5.fc13.i686.rpm from Koji and nothing has changed for me.
I cannot reproduce this problem no longer. Closing.