From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.78 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.9-7 i686)
Description of problem:
I posted this earlier today on the enigma list. It *may*
be a dup of the bug in
but there are enough differances that I am not sure. Apologies
if this actually is the same bug.
My motherboard is an Asus P4B (6 pci/1 apg slots. 1.5GHz
P4. 384 Mb ram), and before installing 7.2, I disabled the
onboard sound completely: the MB has ac97 (i820) and mpu401
(clone) on board. (This MB doesn't use the via133 chipset but
the 845 chipset, so that problem shouldn't be there.) Then I
installed a SoundBlaster PCI-512 and installed rh7.2.
The PCI-512 which didn't work at all -- it finally turned out
that the board would NOT work in a win98 box either and it
went back to the store as defective.
However, I got both an SB Live! and another SB PCI-512 to try
and I am getting the same results on both:
A) The sound system works fine under (barf) win98.
B) After a full reboot, I can run sndconfig and hear the
voice. I then cannot play any other sound files (play ...) --
all that I get is random noises from the speakers. The same
sound file produces completely different results each time
it is played. Occasionally, there is no sound at all.
C) Kmidi works just fine. (xplaymidi fails as expected, and
I forgot to try a vanilla "timidity [midi-file]" -- sorry).
D) I can run quake3 and immediately after exiting it, the
sound card can play any .au or .wav file just fine, but
only once just as if the system had been rebooted.
E) I notice that the sb live! card is sharing interrupt 5 with
one of my two scsi controller board (advansys) --
(hmmmm. interrupt 9 is shared between the other, usb-uhci,
and eth0. hmmm. got to look at this one).
I tried downloading the latest drivers from
opensource.creative.com, and although they compile they get
unresolved symbol problems when I attempt to load them (I'll
write that problem to their list)... But I am reasonably sure
(speculation follows...) that most folks running this baord
are not having the same problem and probably don't have to
download and compile the newer driver.
Kernel and glibc have been upgraded to kernel-2.4.9-7 and
One other thing worth noting here: my MB has an ac'97 and an
mpu-401 clone on it, but both are disabled. With the sblive
out of the machine the respective modules will not load,
so I believe that they are actually disabled. But if I read
specs correctly, the sb-live also has both of these on board.
But neither gets detected. I *think* (but am not sure)
that I was unable to run quake3 until I manually loaded the
ac97_codec and ac97 modules (but it was _very_ late at night,
and this could be my imagination.
This could be a bug or it could be cockpit error on my part...
Any suggestions on what I can do to geteither the SB Live! or
the PCI512 running would be greately appreciated.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Reboot system
2. Play ANY .wav or .au sound file using /usr/bin/play
3. Repeat step 2
Actual Results: Random noises come from speakers. If step is repeated, a
totally DIFFERENT set of random noises come from the speakers
Expected Results: The sound file should play
After booting and before playing any sound file, sndconfig works normally,
and the "Hello, this is..." file plays as expected. However, it is not
possible to play any other sound file after running sndconfig.
I went back and rechecked the part of my statement above about needing to load
the ac97 and ac97_codec modules. Wrong on both counts -- apologies -- I had
pulled a near-all-nighter last night (project due date is in about 12 hours) and
just remembered somehting which didn't happen.
However, tonight I am noticing something I didn't hear last night: on some but
not all files, there is a very brief burst of noise before playing starts (when
it works correctly) -- not on all, unfortunately.
Also, heretic (xaheretic) and heretic-II have either (a) correct sound
immediately after running quake3 or (b) a toss up mixture of no sound or
thoroughly hosed-up sound as described above for .wav & .au sounds.
I'm beginning to believe that this bug is almost certainly the same as that in
Should be ok with the current sblive drivers, if not please re-open
Thanks for the bug report. However, Red Hat no longer maintains this version of
the product. Please upgrade to the latest version and open a new bug if the problem
The Fedora Legacy project (http://fedoralegacy.org/) maintains some older releases,
and if you believe this bug is interesting to them, please report the problem in
the bug tracker at: http://bugzilla.fedora.us/