From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.16-22 i686)
Description of problem:
I've been an avid linux user now for many years. I've been using a LaserJet
6L printer attached to a linux file server for the last 3 years without a
problem, first on RHL 5.2, then on 7.0. Well, I just rebuilt my server with
RHL7.2 and can no longer print. I'm using printconf-tui to generate the
printer config (X? on a server? dont be silly...) and it seems to generate
/etc/printcap fine. Firing off a test page (ASCII and Postscript) from
within printconf-tui fails, and printing from the command line with the
usual tools (lp/lpr) also does not work. However, I know the hardware is
all working properly; using cat FILENAME > /dev/lp0 spits FILENAME out the
I'll walk through the process of creating the printer and then firing off
the test pages to help reproduce the environment and situation. This will
start from having no printer configured at all.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Launch printconf-tui.
2. Choose new.
3. Select a queue name. I use lpd, but what's in a name?
4. Leave Local Printer Device selected, and tab down to Next.
5. /dev/lp0 is highlighted. Tab down to next.
6. Under HP, select LaserJet 6L, and select the ljet4 driver. Tab and
7. Select Finish.
8. Tab over to the Test button.
9. Saving is a good thing. Choose Yes.
10. Arrow down to ASCII text testpage, then hit tab and choose test.
11. Sent ASCII test page to "lpd". Hit OK.
12. Hit enter to choose Test again.
13. US Letter Postscript Testpage is automatically highlighted. Hit tab to
14. Sent US Letter PostScript Testpage to "lpd". Hit OK.
15. Tab and choose Exit to end printconf-tui.
Actual Results: Nothing. The printer wakes up (bottom light comes on) but
nothing ever comes out.
Expected Results: Test pages!
I'll attach the resulting files:
and the output of rpm -qa. Please note that I'm running all the latest
updates from RedHat. I've tried rolling back the updates (removing the 2
Omni packages, rolling back ghostscript and printconf to stock RH7.2) but
that wasnt successful either; it produced a different set of errors.
Created attachment 36542 [details]
/var/spool/lpd/lpd/status.lpd - shows the errors
Created attachment 36543 [details]
/etc/printcap - the printer configuration file printconf-tui generates
Created attachment 36544 [details]
the output from rpm -qa showing all the packages/patches on my system
I'm trying to print to a local printer... HLaserJet 5P. I discovered the same
thing... it used to work in previous versions of RHL but won't work with 7.2.
Yes, I have upgraded to the latest updates of everything.
The printconf program discovers the printer just fine but does nothing when a
test page is supposed to be printed.
Where do we go from here?
I gave up, since I haven't heard a response. I downloaded the latest version of
CUPS (http://www.cups.org/, version 1.1.12). Sweeeeeet product. Installed it,
hit the web interface, chose my parallel port, and it had already detected the
LaserJet 6L. Fired off a test page, and voila, all was happy. However, I did
need to enable the lpr emulation for my RH7.0 workstations. I'll attach the
xinetd.d file entry.
Created attachment 37985 [details]
/etc/xinetd.d/printer - to launch the lpr emulation through CUPS
I upgrade RH 7.0 to 7.2.
I used that new printtool and added my laserjet HP6L.
It works via D-link print server "net paraller port".
I can print, but some pcl setup command are printed
as text to firsth page and then FF.
Second page is what I am waiting for
I have tried upgrate newest version of LPRng without any help.
Last I chose driver "LaserJet Plus ljetplus" instead "LasetJet 6L ljet4".
Then it works nearly right.
Only margins was not exactly what they had to be by A4 Postcripts
Maybe some one who has done those drivers could be easily correct that
problems because that one works nearly right and I think they mayby are
With the updated version LPRng-3.7.4-28 I now can print with RH7.2 on my
HP LaserJet 6L on A4 paper (see below regarding the necessary updates),
but the top margin is offset negative (some text disappears) between
1.5cm and 2 cm. I do not know to to correct this - hints hints :)
I have not understood how foomatic, LPRng etc are connected, but have applied
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2001-155.html to the standard RH7.2
I wonder if this margins problem is the same as the one in bug #54412.
I'm going to close this because the original bug is fixed. For the margins
issue please see bug #54412.