Bug 55826 - Cannot use my RH box as an Xterminal anymore with KDM 3.0.0
Cannot use my RH box as an Xterminal anymore with KDM 3.0.0
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: XFree86 (Show other bugs)
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Mike A. Harris
David Lawrence
Depends On:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2001-11-07 05:08 EST by Need Real Name
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:38 EDT (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Last Closed: 2001-11-22 05:00:21 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---

Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Need Real Name 2001-11-07 05:08:26 EST
Description of Problem:

I cannot use My RedHat 7.2 box as an Xterminal (It worked with 7.1)

How Reproducible:

Just modify the files as mentionned below (My machine is called Lorient):

[ted@lorient /etc]$ diff inittab inittab.org
< x1:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
< x2:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect lorient
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

[ted@lorient xdm]$ diff Xaccess Xaccess.org 
< *					#any host can get a login window
> # *					#any host can get a login window
< #*		CHOOSER BROADCAST	#any indirect host can get a chooser
> *		CHOOSER BROADCAST	#any indirect host can get a chooser
< %hostlist	lorient brest toulon plnpc
> #%hostlist	host-a host-b
< *		CHOOSER %hostlist	#
> #*		CHOOSER %hostlist	#

[ted@lorient xdm]$ diff xdm-config xdm-config.org 
< ! DisplayManager.requestPort:	0
> DisplayManager.requestPort:	0

[ted@lorient xdm]$ diff Xservers Xservers.org 
< #:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X 
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I do not use Gdm but Kdm:
[ted@lorient sysconfig]$ more desktop 

Actual Results:

Grey screen. I do not get the XDMCP chooser window.

Expected Results:

A grey screen WITH the XDMCP chooser window, where I can choose among 4
machines: Brest, Lorient, Toulon and Plnpc

Additional Information:
I suspect a security problem but I don't know what has been changed between
7.1 and 7.2 in this respect.
Comment 1 Need Real Name 2001-11-22 05:00:12 EST
I replaced /ec/X11/prefdm by /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm in inittab and it worked
From that I discovered that KDE 2.2 introduced a new kdmrc file
(/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc), so now I am sure it has something to do with KDM
I tried to modify the kdmrc file to obtain what I wanted but without success.

I don't know what to do now.

Comment 2 Mike A. Harris 2002-05-21 02:18:39 EDT
I don't consider this to be a bug, but rather a misconfiguration issue.
xdm/kdm/gdm all work fine for me in my test environment.  If you need
help configuring xdm/kdm/gdm and XDMCP, etc. please subscribe to the
xpert@xfree86.org mailing list, or one of the Red Hat mailing lists.

There is also an XDMCP-HOWTO which you might find helpful.

Hope this helps.
Comment 3 Need Real Name 2002-05-21 03:06:23 EDT

I had finally succeeded in fixing this with RedHat 7.2 and KDE 2.2.2
Since then, I replaced KDE 2.2.2 by KDE 3.0.0 (a new kderc file). I have also
installed RedHat 7.3 on an other machine and with the Xaccess, inittab... files
CORRECTLY configured for an XDMCP request (tested succesfully with KDE 2.2.2), I
end up, again, with a grey screen using KDM.

I modified kdmrc according to this. It is equivalent to what I did for KDE 2.2.2
(and it worked then....). Do you know what has been changed from KDE 2.2.2 to
KDE 3.0.0? Could you please help me to find the right flag to get XDMCP working
again?  Thanks in advance

bash-2.05a# pwd
bash-2.05a# diff kdmrc kdmrc.org
< DaemonMode=false
> #DaemonMode=false
< #Enable=false
> Enable=false
< Port=177
> #Port=177
Comment 4 Mike A. Harris 2002-05-21 03:31:27 EDT
Sorry, but bugzilla is not a technical support forum, it is a bug tracking
database.  If you require assistance configuring XDMCP, KDE, KDM, or any
other issues, please use the mailing lists previously mentioned for
technical support.
Comment 5 Need Real Name 2002-05-21 03:54:54 EDT

I am very much aware of the fact that bugzilla is not a technical forum but
considering that few months ago there was a bug in the redhat KDE RPMS (for
2.1.x if I recall correctly) that was disabling the XDMCP request whatever the
configuration was and considering that the changes in the configuration files I
did for KDE 3.0.0 (RH73) are EXACTLY the same than the ones I did for KDE 2.2.2,
I don't really know if the problem is : configuration or bug....


PS: If you want, I can open a bug report for RH7.3 and kdebase-3.0.0-12 (kdmrc
is in this package)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.