Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 56520
Appears to be related to Quota. Similar to 56338???????
Last modified: 2005-10-31 17:00:50 EST
Description of Problem:
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Assumed that reenabling Quota on RedHat 7.2 will cause the bug to recurr
after a while. (Could not experiment--this is a production server!!!)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. SU to root and then turn on quotas with "quotaon"
2. Transfer large amounts of data to disk with quotas (e.g. a file of 5 GB
3. Bug should recurr.
System locks up with attached Kernel bug reported.
It is expected that Quota work properly with EXT3 filesystem, regardless of
whether RedHat 7.2 is installed "clean" or is upgraded to from an earlier
version. Also expected that relevant man pages would mention EXT3
(especially if Quota is NOT compatible with it.)
1. Machine originally had RedHat 7.1 installed. Quotas were enabled on
the 100 GB drive (usr2), but not on the 30 GB drive (everything else).
2. An upgrade to RedHat 7.2 was performed.
3. Quota databases were NOT rebuilt with Quotacheck or any other tool (To
be honest, I forgot that Quotas were on when I upgraded.)
4. The system failed after approximately one day with the attached
failure. (Entire /var/log/messages is attached. Failure shows bug
beginning at line 1304.)
5. Extensive repairs had to be made to /usr2 using fsck utility.
6. System was rebooted and "quotaoff" executed at the command line.
7. No further failures occurred.
Machine is an IBM NetVista with single PIII 933 and two physical drives.
/dev/hda is 30 GB drive with no quotas. /dev/hdb is 100 GB drive that HAD
quotas turned on, but I have since turned them off. Machine has 384 MB RAM
and one CD-RW.
Additional information in attached "Messages.2" file. Bug(s) appear at
There is another bug report for Quota at 56338, but I felt mine was
sufficiently dissimilar that it was worth a second report (It might even be
a kernel bug, not Quota at all!)
Created attachment 38025 [details]
Syslog output (/var/log/messages) (or possibly Kernel Oops)
Wow,.. really old bug.
please upgrade to latest 7.2 errata kernel and install the rawhide quota package
(quota-3.06-2 or -3 if it gets uploaded tonight)
That should fix this problem