Bug 5708 - I128 server running on #9 T2R is broken
I128 server running on #9 T2R is broken
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Linux
Classification: Retired
Component: XFree86 (Show other bugs)
6.1
i386 Linux
medium Severity high
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Preston Brown
:
: 6081 6326 7015 7746 (view as bug list)
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 1999-10-07 23:37 EDT by walterfb
Modified: 2008-05-01 11:37 EDT (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2000-02-23 10:09:38 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description walterfb 1999-10-07 23:37:24 EDT
Installation required text mode.  [Some error about the
RAMDAC not being found, hence no screens available].  After
successful text mode installation, X could not be started
for same reason.  I reverted back to the last X server I had
working [XFree86-3.3.5-0.6.0] and things work fine now.
Since it is the same XFree release with presumably different
compile time options, it is probably a Red Hat bug.

I installed on two other machines with Mach64 and S3 drivers
and they worked fine with no problems.

------- Additional Comments From   10/12/99 14:55 -------
I can verify the same.  Using package XFree86-I128-3.3.5-3.i386.rpm
does not work.  Using package XFree86-I128-3.3.5-1.6.0.i386.rpm does.
Here is the output for the failure:

XFree86 Version 3.3.5 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
Release Date: August 23 1999
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.5-22smp i686 [ELF]
Configured drivers:
  I128: server for I128 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc101"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(**) Mouse: type: IMPS/2, device: /dev/mouse, resolution: 200
(**) Mouse: buttons: 5
(**) Mouse: zaxismapping: (-)4 (+)5
(**) I128: Graphics device ID: "Primary Card"
(**) I128: Monitor ID: "Primary Monitor"
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:-1"
(--) I128: I128-II revision (2)
(--) I128: card type: PCI
(**) I128: videoram:  4096k
I128: ibm526 Ramdac not found.

 *** A configured device found, but display modes could not be
resolved.***


Fatal server error:
no screens found
Comment 1 Matthew Galgoci 1999-12-02 09:51:59 EST
Preston, I have seen this reported by several people as well.
Comment 2 Preston Brown 2000-01-24 16:47:59 EST
*** Bug 6326 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ****** Bug 7015 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Preston Brown 2000-01-24 16:48:59 EST
*** Bug 7746 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Robert J. Brown 2000-01-24 22:32:59 EST
Additionally, when it used to work (rh6.0) it still frequently would crash on
virtual tty changes (tty1=F1, tty2=F2, etc.), or X-server changes (:0=F7, :1=F8,
etc.).  This crashed the entire system, not just the X-server, so the machine
had to be rebooted from an unclean shutdown.  :-(
Comment 5 Preston Brown 2000-02-11 10:09:59 EST
I need someone to please test our XFree86 3.3.6 packages that are currently
available from RawHide (or at least the XFree86 server for the I128) and tell me
if the problem has been corrected.
Comment 6 Jeremy Katz 2000-02-13 23:51:59 EST
Looks like it does not work with the packages in piglet :(
Comment 7 Preston Brown 2000-02-16 10:53:59 EST
*** Bug 6081 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***We are working hard on this for 6.2.
Comment 8 Preston Brown 2000-02-23 10:09:59 EST
fixed for 6.2!
Comment 9 Stephen E. Schweibinz 2000-02-28 20:04:59 EST
I ran into this problem with a fresh 6.1 install.  I tried using
XFree86-I128-3.3.6-11.i386.rpm, which I ftp'd from the redhat-6.2beta directory
on rawhide, but Xconfigurator still did not work properly.  Like other posts, I
reverted back to the old 6.0 update of XFree86-I128-3.3.5-1.6.0.i386.rpm and
Xconfigurator worked fine.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.