Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 57928
"=" sign appended to language set by gdm
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:38:51 EDT
Description of Problem:
Chosing english in gdm generates the LANG string en.ISO-8859-1 which is
then reported as not supported by the C library. This makes programs that
actually use the charmap variable fail.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Choose "English" in gdm.
3. Start a program that uses charmap from locale (mutt for instance)
The program doesn't display iso-8859-1 characters correctly.
The program should display those correctly if the locale was correct.
I believe this may be fixed in recent gdm packages, but need to double check.
Looks fixed in rawhide:
I think you misunderstood the problem.
is not a good line.
martin@caesar:~/CVS/External$ LANG=en.ISO-8859-1 locale charmap
martin@caesar:~/CVS/External$ LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 locale charmap
martin@caesar:~/CVS/External$ LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-1 locale charmap
It may be that the problem is in libc. I don't really know, but using
en_US.ISO-8859-1 even for plain english should be ok?
I have a similar problem.
Recently many applications start with this message:
locale `en_US.ISO-8859-1=' not supported by Xlib; trying `C'.
They work fine BTW.
I think the problem is that there is a "=" at the end of the
locale string that shouldn't be there. Resetting the LANG shell
variable to just "en_US.ISO-8859-1" solves the problem.
My system is a well-maintained RH 7.2 with all RH updates applied.
I believe the problem is caused by some recent official Red Hat update.
(don't know which one)
Rob van Nieuwkerk
22.214.171.124-21 should fix this. I also fixed it in GNOME CVS.
Well, talk to your RH colleagues who deleted the whole i386
*and* SRPMS trees in rawhide ... !
Sorry to report that I'm still seeing this:
charon:~> rpm -q gdm
charon:~> echo $GDM_LANG
charon:~> echo $LANG
and plenty of:
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Hmm, I didn't notice that the trailing "=" was a separate bug.
Do you get trailing = if you choose other languages, such as C/POSIX or Spanish
Yes, it occurs with all languages. I've tracked it down to the following line:
in lang.csh from initscripts-6.43-1. Should be:
setenv LANG $GDM_LANG
It looks like this has already been fixed in initscripts-6.58-1 (RawHide),
though, so please go ahead and resolve this.
Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for tracking it down (glad it was initscripts, I was kind of unsure what
gdm would be doing to cause that)