Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 586215
Evo displays source of a message sent by RoadSync 5
Last modified: 2010-05-03 06:20:21 EDT
Created attachment 409355 [details]
Screenshot of what Evo shows
Description of problem:
Evo doesn't seem to understand messages sent by RoadSync 5. OWA and Exchange are fine with them.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Send an e-mail from RoadSync 5 for Symbian s60.
2. Attempt to open sent e-mail in Evo via -exchange (didn't try MAPI).
3. Evo displays source of it, not the e-mail.
Evo displays source of the message.
OWA displays the actual text.
Not entirely sure whether this is an Evo or RoadSync problem, but given that OWA has no trouble with the e-mail, I'll start here.
Thanks for a bug report. It seems from the image that the message is correct, but why it didn't show it properly I do not understand, I looked through the code and I didn't find there anything wrong on the first look.
The message you are referring to should be stored on the disk somewhere under ~/.evolution/mail/exchange/<account>
in the subfolders of it. Please try to find it, strip from there any confidential information and attach it here, so I'll be able to test it with the "exact" data returned from the server. Thanks in advance.
Created attachment 409418 [details]
Note that I generated another one.
Thanks for the update, I can reproduce it with your message too. The issue is with the first three lines in the file, when I remove them, then the message looks like just like any other I receive from the exchange, and is also shown properly in Evolution itself. I'm wondering whether it's legal/correct to have those extra lines returned from the server. These two headers come from SMTP, which I thought Exchange server is hiding usually.
Maybe your RoadSync 5 is using the SMTP somehow differently?
By the way, where was the message received on the exchange server, was it in Inbox or other folder?
(In reply to comment #3)
> Maybe your RoadSync 5 is using the SMTP somehow differently?
No idea. Just installed this thing today and noticed the difference.
> By the way, where was the message received on the exchange server, was it in
> Inbox or other folder?
This is actually in Sent Items. I see the problem when RoadSync 5 sends the message and then stores it there. The received message in Evo on the other end (this is not Exchange, but IMAP) looks fine.
(In reply to comment #4)
> No idea. Just installed this thing today and noticed the difference.
Actually, RoadSync doesn't use SMTP at all. It's an ActiveSync application, connecting to Exchange that supports it.
It would be surprising to suddenly see this kind of change in the Sent Items folder.
I opened up a bug with RoadSync (DataViz) as well, but it is a closed bug system, so you cannot see it. I'll let you know if they find out anything useful.
Thanks for the update. I'm setting this bug to the need-info state for now, so it'll be clear we are waiting the information from them. There are about 30 days until it gets auto-closed, which I hope is enough time to get a response from them. I appreciate your help.
Auto closed? This is not F-11... ??
I did get some responses from them - they are investigating.
In the meantime, I also checked the display of the same message in Outlook. Also no problem.
(In reply to comment #9)
> Auto closed? This is not F-11... ??
Yes, that's how the need_info without response works.
> I did get some responses from them - they are investigating.
> In the meantime, I also checked the display of the same message in Outlook.
> Also no problem.
The outlook may access your message with MAPI, which is different from the OWA connector. I agree that we can do a workaround in the evolution-exchange to simply skip those three first lines, but what surprises me the most is the thing it's here just suddenly, and as I understand this report only when using specific sending application/device, so the first thought is that it's doing something differently from others (which doesn't mean wrong, but...).
(In reply to comment #10)
> The outlook may access your message with MAPI, which is different from the OWA
Note that both Outlook and Outlook Web Access display the messages correctly.
> I agree that we can do a workaround in the evolution-exchange to
> simply skip those three first lines,
Not necessarily three. If multiple recipients are specified, it will be one recipient per line, followed by an empty line.
> but what surprises me the most is the
> thing it's here just suddenly, and as I understand this report only when using
> specific sending application/device, so the first thought is that it's doing
> something differently from others (which doesn't mean wrong, but...).
Yeah, it threw me off as well. I thought mail messages would be headers, empty line, body. Apparently not...
Thanks for looking at this. I'll let you know when DataViz folks tell me more.
Reply from DataViz:
"I have been checking in with an engineer about this and he thinks this is a problem with the Evo since checking the message everywhere else shows it normally. I would say submitting that Evo bug before was probably the right step to take."
OK, thanks for the update. I'm moving this upstream, as it's not Fedora specific. See  for more updates.