Bugzilla (bugzilla.redhat.com) will be under maintenance for infrastructure upgrades and will not be available on July 31st between 12:30 AM - 05:30 AM UTC. We appreciate your understanding and patience. You can follow status.redhat.com for details.
Bug 586679 - RFE Useability - Learning How to Start the Miners was a Little Unintuitive
Summary: RFE Useability - Learning How to Start the Miners was a Little Unintuitive
Keywords:
Status: CLOSED UPSTREAM
Alias: None
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: tracker
Version: 13
Hardware: All
OS: Linux
low
medium
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Deji Akingunola
QA Contact: Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
URL:
Whiteboard:
Depends On:
Blocks:
TreeView+ depends on / blocked
 
Reported: 2010-04-28 06:50 UTC by David Le Sage
Modified: 2010-05-12 05:38 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2010-04-28 14:02:03 UTC
Type: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)


Links
System ID Private Priority Status Summary Last Updated
GNOME Bugzilla 617082 0 None None None Never

Description David Le Sage 2010-04-28 06:50:07 UTC
Description of problem:
Currently, the way in which to start the miners is not intuitive or well-documented.  I realise it is only early days with this being release 0.8.3 so I do not know if this feedback is needed yet but it would be good if:


1.  The tracker-status man page has a lot of information about pausing and resuming miners but no info about starting them which, I must admit, initially confused me.  A cross-reference between the tracker-status and tracker-control pages would be good or just a quick note telling users to start the miners with tracker-control -s.

2. System Preferences->Searching and Indexing need a graphical controll for switching miners on and off (or better still, they could jsut run as a background daemon)

3. Just running tracker-control by itself (with no switches) from BASH after installing gives the current process id.  Perhaps it should instead prompt the user by providing a list of switches (as the -h switch does) and only give current process id (the current default behaviour) when another switch is used.

4. Might be good to include a help file in tracker-search-tool as well since indexing is not switched on by default and newbie users who might not know about indexing would wonder why files are not displayed when they do searches.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
tracker-search-tool 0.8.3-1

How reproducible:
Every time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Not obvious that indexing miners must be started with tracker-control -s  Can take some research to discover this.
  
Actual results:
If the user looks at tracker-status man page first with discussion of pausing and resuming miners but no mention of ways in which to actually start them and no cross-reference to tracker-control man page, this is potentially confusing.

Expected results:
Should have cross-reference to tracker-control man page to teach users how to start indexing.  Graphical front-end and configuration tools should also indicate to inexperienced users how to start indexing.

Additional info:

Comment 1 Deji Akingunola 2010-04-28 14:02:03 UTC
I think this sort of issue is best filed upstream. I've forwarded this bug there at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=617082 . Let's hope it is resolved soon.
Closing as upstream (feel free to re-open if you don't like this 'resolution').

Comment 2 Deji Akingunola 2010-05-11 16:56:34 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Description of problem:

Here are responses to the clone of the bug submitted upstream. You can follow up directly with this response at the upstream bugzilla (link in comment #1) or or leave them here (if there are any) and I'll do my best to forward it.
 
> Currently, the way in which to start the miners is not intuitive or
> well-documented.  I realise it is only early days with this being release 0.8.3
> so I do not know if this feedback is needed yet but it would be good if:
> 
> 
> 1.  The tracker-status man page has a lot of information about pausing and
> resuming miners but no info about starting them which, I must admit, initially
> confused me.  A cross-reference between the tracker-status and tracker-control
> pages would be good or just a quick note telling users to start the miners with
> tracker-control -s.
> 

Done.

> 2. System Preferences->Searching and Indexing need a graphical controll for
> switching miners on and off (or better still, they could jsut run as a
> background daemon)
>

There is one, tracker-status-icon. Or do you mean something else?


> 3. Just running tracker-control by itself (with no switches) from BASH after
> installing gives the current process id.  Perhaps it should instead prompt the
> user by providing a list of switches (as the -h switch does) and only give
> current process id (the current default behaviour) when another switch is used.
> 

No, I don't think that's useful. If you want to understand how to use a
command, it is pretty universal you need to use --help.

Also providing something useful as the default with no arguments is much better
than the help IMO.

> 4. Might be good to include a help file in tracker-search-tool as well since
> indexing is not switched on by default and newbie users who might not know
> about indexing would wonder why files are not displayed when they do searches.
> 

This sounds like a different bug entirely. Can you report a new bug for this.
Multiple issues in one report is never a good idea.

...
> 
> Expected results:
> Should have cross-reference to tracker-control man page to teach users how to
> start indexing.  Graphical front-end and configuration tools should also
> indicate to inexperienced users how to start indexing.
>

I also mention tracker-status in tracker-control.

> Additional info:

Comment 3 David Le Sage 2010-05-12 05:38:59 UTC
1. Thank you!

2. Yes, tracker-status-icon didn't appear when I first installed it. It did appear after I logged out and logged back into GNOME.  Had it appeared initially, I wouldn't have raised that issue.

3.  Okay. Again, was due to tracker-status-icon not being visible originally.

4.  Will do.

5.  Thank you!


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.