After much confusion and a little web searching I discovered that the
reason we had so many font problems was AbiWord. rpm --erase fixed it.
1> Installs fonts with false names on the global font path. AbiWord adds
an Arial, for example, that's really Nimbus Sans.
2> Messes with the font path while running (meaning, if Abi is running,
other apps behave differently). AbiWord's foundary name comes before
"adobe" "monotype" or "urw", so when AbiWord is running you get
AbiWord's fonts or a weird mixture of fonts:
3> AbiWord includes copyrighted fonts with no licence or notice:
4> Will not use valid system fonts:
5> The bugzilla comments from the core developers read like:
"I do not consider this a bug.", and "Then please get someone
@ Ximian to help us out. I'm sorry, but we've got to
prioritize our bugs and this is nowhere near the top of our list."
The AbiWord developers have shown no real interest in fixing the above, not even
for their 1.0 release, and they defend the current design.
Until AbiWord ceases to be in the font business, it's a danger to the rest of
Please move abiword to a location on the CD's where it won't be installed (even
on an "everything" install). If just a few applications took the liberties that
absolute chaos would result.
We no longer leave the abiword font "aliases" in place which resolves most of
the problems related to that and their foundry name has changed so that it's
last in the list.