Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 592702
After updating Fedora 13, NetworkManager UI will not run
Last modified: 2013-03-05 23:02:50 EST
Description of problem:
I install Fedora 13 from the beta release DVD, and everything worked fine. After updating to the current NetworkManager, neither nm-applet nor knetworkmanager will run any more.
nm-applet complains on the command line:
** (nm-applet:2746): WARNING **: <WARN> request_name(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
Error: (9) Connection ":1.71" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies in the configuration file
knetworkmanager complains in a dialog box:
KNetworkManager cannot start because the installation is misconfigured.
System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings;
contact your system administrator or distribution.
KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Fedora 13 beta
2. upgrade to latest NetworkManager
3. restart computer.
4. log in
The NetworkManager UI does not come up at all, or shows an error message and exits.
The NetworkManager UI should come up with not error messages
I've tried to revert back to the packages from the Fedora 13, but it did not solve the problem. After reinstalling the Fedora 13, it worked - until I updated again. I think I can reproduce this 100% with this scenario, but I don't understand why, because the immediate suspect - the dbus configuration file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf - is identical in both the installation ISO and the updates.
I also was able to workaround the problem by modifying the above mentioned file and adding
Hmm, that strikes me as odd because nm-applet.conf should *already* have <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings"/> in the at_console section. You don't want to make the modification to NetworkManager.conf, because taht file is for NetworkManager, not nm-applet. However, the bug could have been fixed as a side-effect of modifying any of the files in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
Did you restart after updating at all?
Colin, are we sure we've fixed the conf file re-reading race thing by now? I thought we had...
After I updated the file, I restarted the messagebus service (and basically everything except from booting the system).
I just reinstalled and updated a VM with Fedora 13 and couldn't reproduce the problem, nor can I find my change in my current (working) real system - probably a recent update ate it.
Weird that I could reproduce the problem twice more after my initial install on my laptop but now its gone. Either it was a race condition that only affected my specific (and repeatable) use case - which is not far fetched, I tend to be very predictable ;-) or its a problem that was fixed in the last week.
Either way I'm closing this issue - thanks for the attention to this report, and sorry for the noise.