Bug 60642 - xfontsel forgest to refresh it screen
xfontsel forgest to refresh it screen
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Red Hat Raw Hide
Classification: Retired
Component: XFree86 (Show other bugs)
1.0
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Mike A. Harris
David Lawrence
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2002-03-03 20:08 EST by Michal Jaegermann
Modified: 2007-04-18 12:40 EDT (History)
0 users

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2002-03-23 05:33:35 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
A look of xfontself after mousing around (9.25 KB, image/png)
2002-03-03 20:09 EST, Michal Jaegermann
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Michal Jaegermann 2002-03-03 20:08:27 EST
Description of Problem:
After starting 'xfontsel' its normal window appears, "Processing fonts..."
is displayed, "6125 names match", and no fonts ever show up.  Touching
its various submenus produces amusing but hardly useful display which
may look like the one attached.

This is XFree86-4.2.0-6.32 recompiled to work with Red Hat 7.2 distribution
but I would be somewhat surprised if that would matter.  I also have
quite personalized /etc/X11/fs/config file but this should not affect
'xfontsel' operation.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
XFree86-4.2.0-6.32
Comment 1 Michal Jaegermann 2002-03-03 20:09:57 EST
Created attachment 47280 [details]
A look of xfontself after mousing around
Comment 2 Mike A. Harris 2002-03-04 20:22:34 EST
I'm also testing a 7.x compiled 4.2.0 right now, and xfontsel is working
ok for me.  You're right that rebuilding it should work the same.

Not sure what could be the problem, but I'll leave this here for us to add
datapoints to for troubleshooting.
Comment 3 Mike A. Harris 2002-03-22 14:29:32 EST
I just tried again to reproduce this in my latest build in rawhide, and
still can't reproduce what you are seeing. It is possible that whatever
the problem may have been that it is fixed now, or possible that rebuilding
it introduced impurities outside the pure development environment, or even
that rawhide was in a bad state at the time.

If you could do a clean install when we release an official beta, and
report back if the problem persists, that would be good feedback.
Comment 4 Michal Jaegermann 2002-03-22 19:33:58 EST
I indeed tried that recently on a diffferent machine.  Hardwarewise not that
remote and with software which is basically the same (X-server was replaced
by something "rawhide-derived" in the meantime a box where this happens).
It works ok on the other one.  I spent some time attempting to find a reason
for that and so far I am lost.

AFAIK xfontsel is unique in this behaviour (but I swear that did not use
Gimp to produce an attached picture :-).
Comment 5 Mike A. Harris 2002-03-23 05:31:40 EST
Problem discovered by another user also, along with some information
showing the cause of the problem.  I've cc'd you on that report, and
will try to reproduce with this new information and try to find a solution.
Comment 6 Mike A. Harris 2002-03-23 05:33:31 EST
There are aliases in fonts.alias of which fonts do not actually exist
unless all are installed (ulT1mo).  These missing fonts cause the problem
aparently.  Installing them makes the problem go away.

I will be testing this before long.
Comment 7 Mike A. Harris 2002-04-08 18:55:04 EDT
Problem was fixed in rawhide 4.2.0-6.52 or so, however I forgot to close the
bug.  The problem was due to a missing fonts.alias file I lost when changing
the file lists.  It should work fine now.  I believe you were Cc'd on the
other reports related to this.

If you have any problems still with the latest rawhide release, please reopen.

Thanks Michal

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.