Description of problem:
These are some observations made by Alfredo Moralejo when upgrading
Satellite 4.1 to 5.3 with migration of OS from 4.7 to 5.5, including
using a different DNS name, a dns alias:
* As the new server will use a new DNS, a new SSL certificate will be
build. Because of this reason step 10 of README file (Update SSL build
directory to RHN 5.1 format and standards) is not required and has not
* In Step 7 of rhn-satellite-5-upgrade-scenario-1a.txt file (Restore
/var/satellite, /var/www/html/pub, /root/ssl-build, and
/etc/tnsnames.ora to the new server), don't copy /root/ssl-build and be
carefull with /var/www/html/pub, do not overwrite files related with SSL
* Don't install package
as said in step 7.
* In step 8, before starting datafiles upgrade to Oracle 10gR2, check
that you some free space in datafiles. In my case, it becames full and I
had to start the database restore from the scratch.
* It's very important to add the new certificate to de database, as
stated in step 17.
* Additional step 1: remove the old SSL certificate from database. From
the web interface in Systems -> Kickstart -> GPG and SSL Keys, search
the certificate for the former satellite and remove it.
* Additional step 2: for each kickstart profile, the new certificate
must be added and the old one has to be removed. This must be done from
the web interface, Systems -> Kickstart -> Profiles. Select each
profile, go to System details -> GPL& SSL, select the right
certificates (RHN-ORG-TRUSTED-SSL-CERT) must always be checked, and
click on “Update Keys” button.
* Additional step 3: clients registered in the former satellite must be
reconfigured to use the new one (/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date).
Additionally the new SSL certificate must be deployed and osad installed.
* Additional step 4: installation process has set hostname instead of
the dns alias for some cobbler parameters. Although this works properly,
it may cause problems in case of migration to a different server or DR.
To fix it following parameters have been modified manually:
cobbler.host = dns_alias
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
It would be good to include the observations mentioned above (or some of them)
in upgrade documentation for next major Satellite release.
Instructions for satellite renames have been added to the upgrade
From now on, it is possible to restore the data from the old Satellite
on a machine with a new hostname.
satellite.git master: da176fc39c3bc532ce3a93f367838c95e16f2482
* SSL cert instruction has been modified,
* there's a warning about free space in db.
The 5.4.0 RHN Satellite and RHN Proxy release has occurred. This issue has been resolved with this release.
RHEA-2010:0801 - RHN Satellite Server 5.4.0 Upgrade
RHEA-2010:0803 - RHN Tools enhancement update
RHEA-2010:0802 - RHN Proxy Server 5.4.0 bug fix update
RHEA-2010:0800 - RHN Satellite Server 5.4.0
Docs are available: