Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 608922
mono debuginfo files (*.mdb) sometimes mis-detected
Last modified: 2010-07-07 13:54:09 EDT
Description of problem:
mono debuginfo files (*.mdb) are sometimes misdetected as "Infocom game data" and "file" exits with a return value != 0
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
- the issue does not happen for all mono debuginfo files, but for some of them
- even a consecutive re-compilation will change the output of the file command
- however, if a file contains the problematic byte sequence, "file" will always file
- I have attached a file showing the problem (Banshee.Dap.MassStorage.dll.mdb)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. LANG=en_US.utf8 file Banshee.Dap.MassStorage.dll.mdb
- "Banshee.Dap.MassStorage.dll.mdb: ERROR: Infocom game data (Z-machine 20, Release 32765 / vasprintf failed (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)"
- return code != 0
- correct detection
- return code == 0
Regardless whether "file" can correctly identify a file type, I'm really surprised that just arbitrary file _content_ can lead to a non-zero return code. Would it be worth to start a discussion about this general behaviour with upstream?
Created attachment 427521 [details]
file to demonstrate the issue
*** Bug 608919 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Created attachment 427607 [details]
z-machine magic entry update
I confirm the error. Attached patch fix that for me.
file-5.04-5.fc13 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 13.
file-5.04-5.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update file'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/file-5.04-5.fc13
file-5.04-5.fc13 has been pushed to the Fedora 13 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.